What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible?

Hello everybody! Here I have another question about Nepenthes ventricosa. Is it possible that ventrocosa's pitchers can porduce wings? I recieved today some ventricosas that I purchased, and they are very beautiful, but when I compared them with my old ones, the pitchers of the new ones are green and have a little wings on the top, near the peristome. The wings look like there was sometime ago wings, but now there is only a small portion of it left.

So, is it possible that there are ventricosas with wings and green colored? I thought that they were all red and with no wings. I am wrong? Or it is possible that I boughtan hybrid?

As always, I will thank all the help that you guys can give me;-) by the way, if you have pictures of your ventricosas, please, share them with us:)

Do you have a picture? Not sure if it's normal or not... also, I don't believe ventricosa is all red. Pinkish maybe.

Generally all Nepenthes produce ladders (wings) with lower pitchers. Perfectly normal and attractive!

Hello again! Ok, they are not red, but deep pink. But is there any variety that is green? I could think that when pithcer is young is green and then while matures it becomes red, or pink. But these new ones have some large pitchers that are fully green.

About the wings, so it is normal that they have? the thing isthat many of the pitches do not have full wings, most of them only have at the top of the pirtcher, it looks really funny.

Here are the pictures:

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSAWING.jpg

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADETAIL.jpg

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSAOTHERDETAIL.jpg

Thank you for your time;-)

Looks pretty ventracosaish to me... but I am no Nep guru (I would like to become one eventually LOL). Younger plants/pitchers can be green, I know some of mine were for awhile. Where did you get the plant from?

Wings are one of the most common traits of a Nepenthes plant. N. ventricosa will develope light pink to cream colored pitchers, there really isn't a "green" form.

There isn't a green form? I thought there was....maybe I am thinking of what you are calling cream...

The immature pitchers look different than the mature ones, which have essentially no wings. Your plant looks like a young ventricosa, but it's too early to be sure. Coult be a N. x ventrata too.

Capslock

Young N. ventricosa plants produce pitchers with wings. As the plant matures, the wings will become less noticeable.

Joe, not that I am aware of. There are some forms of N. x ventrata that are more "green" in coloration, but that may come from the alata parentage, but in N. ventricosa, there really isn't a "green" form.

Guess it depends on your deffinition on color. You probably won't find an all dark grass green one. And are we considering peristome also or just pitcher body? Color also tends to change as pitchers age. They can also be affected by the environment they develope in. ie light level and temperature.

Will just reiterate that N. ventricosa will have some wings as juvenile pitchers but they will quickly dissappear when the plant starts forming normal lower pitchers.

anyway.. here is a 'green' one imo. It does get a little less green with age...
NventricosaMT_WidePinkPeri.jpg

Tony

Hey! That looks almost identical to the 'Toilet Bowl' cv. at the Frederik Meijer Gardens. Green early on, turning a deep purply red as time goes by.

Hello everybody!!!!

Tony, is this one in your picture a N. ventricosa??? It looks extraordinary!

Wesley, I got these new plants from a friend on Florida. I am getting plants from other states or parts of the planet, outside Puerto Rico to ensure genes & characteristics variety on my colection.

So, it is supossed that the wings will start to desappear with maturity. And the green on the pictchers depends on different elements? O.k.

I have ones that are pinkish, others that are cream (it is like a blend of pink and green and then it looks cream) and green. The green ones seem to have several mature pitchers, so I guess they will be green ones. Or when you talk about maturity you refer about the plants and not to mature pitchers?

Can you guys post pictures of yours so I can compare. I seem to be stucked between the possibility of having ventricosa or ventrata.

Thanks...

I wish I could, but, as has been famous on the forums for a long time now...

ME NO HAVE DIGITAL CAMERAAAA!!!!!

How do they look now? My ventricosa pitchers look significantly different. Mine are much more bulbuous not elongated and have no wings at all. Even on the 9 month old cuttings the little 1/2 " pitchers are tinted pink on top, have a much more hour glass shape, and possess no wings.

Emilia, forgot to reply to what you said.. anyway, no, that's not a ventricosa. Don't know what kind it is, only know it's not a ventricosa.

Hello guys!!!!

FlytrapGurl!!! I have not forgoten to answer CP3O questions. I was not able to come around earlier
smile.gif

Well CP3O. These Nepenthes in the pictures, look exactly the same now. Only that some pitchers have grown some inches more, but they are still green, with abnormal wings and elongated.

Since I started in this Forum, I have always ben the one that have "problematic ventricosas" The older ventricosas I have are pinkish red colored completley, they do not have wings, even from smaller plant and when pitchers are newborn. They have a small waist, and their lids are held almost giagonally, except when there have been several days of rain, that the plants seem to close their lids to protect their pitchers from too much water.

But this one that started this topic, are elongated, green and with those strange wings that seem to be mutant or something.

Tomorrow I pormiss I will take pictures of both type of pitchers, the one that I know that is ventricosa, and from these strange ones.

As all of you can see, I am still having problems with my ventricosas
smile_n_32.gif

Ok guys, here are thepictures I promissed.

Here is one of the pitcher of the
confused.gif
"green one"
confused.gif
These lant were the ones I recieved lately.
VGREEN11702.jpg

Here is another one, you can see the strange wings:
VGREEN21702.jpg

Here is one of the small red ones:
VRED11702.jpg

By the way, I made some cutting from this plant and the plant seem to be producing 4 new growing points at the same time, it is that normal??? I was expecting only 1 growin point, but 4 in the same plant, isn't it weird? Ohh Lord, I have almost an obsession with my ventricosas, well I admit it, I am obsessed with ventricosas;0)

Here is the picture:
VRED51702.jpg

Now, here is, from y oldest ventricosa a baby pitcher, you can see it is red from the bigining:
VRED21702.jpg

Here is another pitcher from y oldest that is almost opening:
VRED31702.jpg

And here is a developed old pitcher:
VRED41702.jpg

All pics were taken this morning. What do you think, guys???

Hi JJTR
Nice photos,it looks like a Ventrata to me.
Bye for now Julian

Hello Julian! Thank you!!

You see? That's the problem with my ventricosas, some say ventricosa nad some say ventrata... But to which one do yo urefer, to the "green" or the "red" or both?

I think I will need to do a DNA test or something to know exactly waht are they;0) That is why I am obsessed with them. And also, eventhough some people sais they are common, I love them a lot, forme, their coloration is spectacular. Here in PR seems that he tropcila sun give them a deeper coloration. I really love them;0)

Back