What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**is it a baby?!**

hello, i was watering my Nep.judith and i found som lil leafs of plantlets near the roots as u can see,
Is%20it%20new.jpg

Is%20it%20new2.jpg

and i tried to dig deep if it was connected to the main plant, but i was digging to deep and was afraid i would do somthing wrong to the plant, so i decided to take good pix and show and ask u guys if its a new plant growing, it havnt had any flowers since ive gotten it, but yea, it looks like tiny leafs of the primary plant,

its its new, should i separate it and repot it?

tell me wat to do, thnx,
huy

How tall is your plant? Looks like you have a couple basal shoots popping up. I would leave them for now. They are way too small to remove and root. PERSONALLY I like to leave the basal shoots and when the main plant gets too tall.. chop it down and let the basal shoots take over. I am not a big fan of letting the plants get really tall and looking at lots of brown leafless stem.

Lucky looks like you didn't damage anything by digging in the pot! Not a good plan to do that sort of thing
smile_n_32.gif

Tony

y would i chop my plant down? wat do u mean chop? completely or wat? i do trim the plant of dead leafs, the plant is pretty big, like a foot tall, the neps are like 3inchs long, wats a basal shoot?, is it directly connected to the main plant?

A basal shoot is a lateral growth from the main stem produced down at the bottom of the plant.. basically like a branch off it.

The 'problem' with Nepenthes is that eventually the vine gets longer and longer and you end up with this green tuft of leaves and traps way out on the end of this hard brown leafless stem. The only way to avoid this is to make cuttings and start new plants. Or chop the plant down just above the new basal shoots and let them grow to be your new plant.

I like when they get bushy and make lots of shoots from down near the bottom. But what you do is entirely up to you. You can leave them and the main plant intact. You can remove them when they get larger. You can leave them and cut the main plant back when they get larger..

T

True. I am getting ready to cut all of mine back for that reason. I like the look of a fuller plant as well.

I'm with Tony on this one, I love the look of a nice bushy plant with tons of basals, especially any form of ampullaria.....

Baby *grin* Once baby gets nice and big you can cut the top off of your old plant and burry it in a new pot, it should take root and turn into a new plant while your origenal one forks at the cut and gets nice and bushy.

x 'Judith Finn' creates some serious basal shoots, it created about three as slightly matured juvenile. and now the plants are nearly up to par with it. The x 'Judith Finn' is displayed in my thread at Nepenthes.

Back