What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is drying pitchers after transplanting them normal

Hi:

A pitcher plant I purchased bareroot is having its pitchers dry up. Is this normal after the shock of being shipped bareroot and repotted?

I'm noticing that several pitchers are turning brown that were purchased recently.

I don't know what is normal for these plants? Do they grow and lose pitchers all season?

Hi cockatielmother,

Am I correct in assuming that the pitcher plant we're talking about is a Sarracenia?

If you bought a Sarracenia bare root, and the pitchers are quite a bit dry there is good reason for this. During shipping and probably before packing them up the liquid is usually dumped out to prevent further rot of the plant while packaged, either this or the liquid inside falls out and you get a plant all covered with half digested parts.

Normally on receipt of a Sarracenia one would put at least a little bit of water into the existing pitchers just to keep them hydrated. I'm not sure if everyone does this, but I know I did in my experience. It's at least something to start them off with until they can produce more...unless it's S. purpurea where you'd add water no matter what. Hope this helps.

I wish one of the many books I've read had mentioned that. Good thing I saved some rainwater this week. Will go fill up the pitchers.

you could also submerge them underwater for a couple of minutes after you get them. It will help freshen up.

Back