What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Concrete Good?

I'm getting (for free) an 72 gallon terrarium for free from someone. He says it's got a mountain whose base is conctrete with dirt over it.

What will concrete do to the plants and soil. Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Well, concrete has sand, lime, crushed stone in it. The lime has calcium and magnesium. CP's don't like salts / metals.

What if I painted over it with something, to seal the cement. Any ideas?

Paint may contain lead and / or other undesirables. Don't mean to be a downer, but... Hey, can you cover and seal with plastic? Since most CP's end up in plastic containers...

I would try "painting" it or rather coating it in a two part epoxy. You can get like say a one hour two part epoxy that way you have an hour to work with it. Once its dry its non toxic and is basically plastic.

Don't know if you want to go to this much trouble, but you can get "Liquid PVC" somewhere on the Internet. It is a 2 part mix like epoxy but it is more of a liquid. It hardens pretty fast (2-2.5 min.) but after it hardens its just like white PVC pipe.

They make epoxy paint also.. works just like regular paint except there is an epoxy component in it. Kind of expensive though.

Personally I would toss the concrete and find something else to build out of....
Tony

I'm sure my post is late but here it is.

concrete, depending on what type it is, might be safe if it was washed with some acid first to clean and cure it. Mot concretes are made with an anti-fungal agent which is bad for frogs and the like. I do sell at my site some vivarium mortar what was actually designed for herps. It's great, dries hard and if you use it to hold stones or rocks, it's awesome! i've used it to build water features and such for a while and not one issue. no leaching at all. i have used it also to fix water flow issues while the water was running, bold great underwater. it's called vivarium mortar.

Deven - You should contact Specsbilis73. He is into reptiles and amphibians - especially poison dart frogs.

Realy? so you know how I could find him in here?

He's all over the forum, particularly the non-serious ones in General Discussions.

A tube of clear silicone can be spread thinly over concrete and is Cheap Cheap Cheap. Also non toxic once cured and will last much longer than any paint including epoxy in moist environments.

Cheers,
Sean

This is surest and cheapest way to seal concrete and clay pots.
Make sure it is extremely dry, warm from setting in the sun and brush at least two coats of melted canning wax over it, including the bottom.  It will absorb a surprisingly large amount of wax.
Soak in HOT water to drive off any excess hydrocarbons (they will float to the top in the form of an oily film) and let it bake in the sun for a few days.
The color and texture will not change.

Ok, turns out the guy sold the terrarium that had the cement in it...DARN IT! What a jerk...

Back