What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 80 f in winter and higher in summer ok?

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
I grow some of my Drosera and Pings (all tropical) in a large aquarium, and I have 2 twisty flor. bulbs and one big long one. The long one's bulbs are only about 3 months old, and the temp gauge says 80 f all the time, and is this ok in winter? And, in summer, who knows what the temp could raise to? If so, how would I go about cooling it? I thought of putting ice in there, but I dunno. Does anyone have any ideas? ???

I would leave a window open. Seems like you aren't too far from where I'm located, and it's been pretty chilly lately. I only grow 3 drosera and one ping (so I don't know too much), but if you are looking for colder temps, that's a good way to get it.

Why would you cool species from a tropical climate? That would be like me trying to cool LL neps....

It depends upon which sundews you have - tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate. Also, while Mexican pings are listed as tropical, they have a pretty good temperature differential, not only in winter, but diurnally. Still, they do just fine at room temp and probably 10 degrees higher.

Back