What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPM

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
One of my favorite methods of removing creepy-crawlies from CP is what I call the "water spray method". This method involves a source of pure water pumped under pressure into a bladder storage tank (about 60psi) which is then piped through a 1/4 inch polythene tubeing to a thumb actuated valve with an adjustable output nozzle. I usually prefer to adjust the spray into a tight fan shape and I then take the plants out of their pots, dip them into a bucket of pure water to help rinse off remaining remnants of old media and then use the sprayer to thoroughly wash any and all creepy-crawlies off and away. I then replant them into new or clean pots with new pressure sterilized media. Works like a charm. No poisons, good for the environment.

Hi Joseph

What is a bladder storage tank? Like a hand held sprayer type thing?

Luckily I don't have pest problems.

Suzanne

A bladder water storage tank is a steel tank designed to keep pressurized water from coming in contact with metal. There is a pressure charge in the steel tank and inside the tank there is a flexible plastic bladder with only one opening to the outside, like a balloon. When water, under pressure from a pump is forced into the bladder it expands inside the steel tank and increases the air pressure of the air charge inside the tank. Then as the pressurized water is released from the bladder to spray the plants the pressure gradually subsides until the pressure switch turns the pump back on and renews the water and subsequently the pressure. This cycles the water pressure between the two set points on the pump switch, often 40psi to 60psi as in my case. Various devices have been designed to accomodate various volumes of water and various pressures.

Thanks Joseph...hadn't ever heard of that. I have a variety of hand sprayers and pump sprayers, but not anything that fancy. Sounds useful.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back