What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasive utrics?

Which Utricularia (Other than the obvious U. subulata) tend to be invasive? How do they spread, by seeds, or by sending stolons out to look for soil, or by sending stolons out drain holes to look for other drain holes?

How do I best segregate the more invasive species to prevent them from contaminating other pots? Although I don't mind if a Sar has Utrics covering the surface of the soil (in fact, I prefer it, as it holds the soil in place for outdoor plants), I prefer my small pots of Utrics remain pure, single species in each pot.

bisquamata and lateriflora spread by seed fairly readily. sandersonii will go over the rim of the pot cause it really doesnt grow in the soil so much as on top of it(my clone of U. aureomaculata does this to but your not likely to come across it unless you get it from me or one of the ppl ive traded a chunk too, the other clone is a much slower grower). about all species will sneak out drain holes and into a near by pot.

I'll see you bisquamata & sandersonii, and raise you a livida.
smile_n_32.gif

livida has never been much of a problem for me. nowhere near what sandersonii can do, its stolons go airborn, livida seems to like to stay in the soil from what ive seen. whats funny is that "root bound" in a shallow pot my dichotoma and bisquamata have never really come out their drain holes like most species. their rolons seem to want to stay in the top inch or so of soil.

So, perhaps keep them in separate small trays, and for those that produce lots of seed, cover with a cut-off 2-liter soda bottle?

you could, i dont, i have almost 40 pots in 3 trays. self seeders like bisquamata and lateriflora i pick off spent blooms before the seed develops. i pick up the individual pots a couple times a month to pick off adventurous growth out of the drain holes. not really to much of a hassel. i find its easier to keep 3 trays properly filled with water versus 40 individual ones
smile_m_32.gif

Back