What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasive U.livida

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
Now I know what you guys mean when you say that U.livida is invasive. It has alot of lolons coming out of the bottom of the pot, and it tried to overtake my nearby pot of U.subulata.
P1030205.sized.jpg

P1030294.sized.jpg
[

take over!

I keep mine in check by growing it in an undrained container. It keeps it out of my other pots. But you still have to watch out for (I can't think of the name right now but the one that has the bunny flowers) because it will grow on the outside of the pot and send stalons into other pots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](I can't think of the name right now but the one that has the bunny flowers)
U. Sandersonii and yes i have noticed this. the runners come out of the pot and look like little spikes coming out. when i first saw them they looked like flower scapes!
Alex

I like my sandersonii. Even thought it can be invasive I would like to get mine to grow on the houseide of the pot. I think that looks cool!

im wondering if sandersonii can take very low temperaturs...like over a winter dormancy and be grown in full sun.
Alex

almost all terrestrial Utrics will go out the bottom of the pot which is why i lost interest in keeping 30 species of terrestrials. sandersonii and one clone of aureomaculata will go over top and into the next pot. however these guys arent the real pain. those that actually produce viable seed are a bigger headache than anything.

Wait...viable seed? so that means you cant get seed from Utric flowers? and by the ones you hate are like...U. subulata?
Alex

IIRC bisquamata will produce seed as does calycifida. sandersonii and livida dont, atleast not many if they do. subulata is about the worst. most Utrics need a second clone in order to produce any amount of seed. those that dont can be a royal pain and you have to pull flower stalks before the seed ripens cause once the pods burst they are everywhere.

Back