What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intersting water trivia

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
Water Trivia
1 . How much water does it take to process a quarter pound of hamburger?
Approximately one gallon
2. How much water does it take to make four new tires?
2,072 gallons
3. What is the total amount of water used to manufacture a new car, including tires?
39,090 gallons per car
4. How many households use private wells for their water supply?
17,000,000 households
5. Water is the only substance found on earth naturally in the three forms.
True—solid, liquid, and gas
6. Does water regulate the earth's temperature?
Yes, it is a natural insulator
7. How long can a person live without food?
More than a month
7a. How long can a person live without water?
Approximately one week, depending upon conditions
8. How much water must a person consume per day to maintain health?
21/2 quarts from all sources, i.e.,water, food, etc.
9. How much water does a birch tree give off per day in evaporation?
70 gallons
10. How much water does an acre of corn give off per day in evaporation?
4,000 gallons
11. How many miles of pipeline and aque ducts are in the US and Canada?
Approximately one minion miles or enough to circle the earth 40 times
12. What were the first water pipes made from in the US?
Fire charred bored logs
13. How much water is used to flush a toilet?
2-7 gallons
14. How much water is used in the average five-minute shower?
25-50 gallons
15. How much water is used to brush your teeth?
2 gallons
16. How much water is used on the average for an automatic dishwasher?
9-12 gallons
17. On the average, how much water is used to hand wash dishes?
20 gallons
18. How many community public water supply systems are there in the United States?
19. How much water do these utilities process daily?
34 billion gallons
20. Of the nation's community water supplies, how many are investor owned?
32,500 (Ohio-American is part of American Water Works Company, Inc. - an investor-owned
utility)
21. How much water does the average residence use during a year?
107,000 gallons
22. How much does an individual use daily?
123 gallons
23. What does a person pay for water on a daily basis?
National average is 25 cents
24. How much of the earth's surface is water?
25. Of all the earth's water, how much is ocean or seas?
97%
26. How much of the world's water is frozen and therefore unusable?
2%
27. How much of the earth's water is suitable for drinking water?
1%
28. Is it possible for me to drink water that was part of the dinosaur era?
Yes
29. If all community water systems had to be replaced, what would it cost?
In excess of $175 billion
30. What does it cost to operate the water systems throughout the country annually?
Otter $3.5 billion
31. How much does one gallon of water weigh?
8.34 pounds
32. How many gallons of water would it take to cover one square mile with one foot of water?
219 million gallons
33. How much water is in one cubic foot?
7.84 gallons
34. How many gallons of water do you get per acre, when it rains one inch?
27,000 gallons per acre
35. At what temperature does water freeze?
32 degrees F,0 degrees C
36. At what temperature does water vaporize?
212 degrees F,100 degrees C
37. How much of the human body is water?
66%
38. How much of a chicken is water?
75%
39. How much of a pineapple is water?
80%
40. How much of a tomato is water?
95%
41. How much of an elephant is water?
70%
42. How much of an ear of corn is water?
80%
43. How much water does it take to process one chicken?
11.6 gallons
44. How much water does it take to process one can of fruit or vegetables?
9.3 gallons
45. How much water does it take to process one barrel of beer?
1500 gallons
46. How much water does it take to make one board foot of lumber?
5.4 gallons
47. How much water does it take to make one pound of plastic?
24 gallons
48. How much water does it take to make one pound of wool or cotton?
101 gallons
49. How much water does it take to refine one barrel of crude oil?
1,851 gallons
50. How much water does it take to produce one ton of steel?
62,600 gallons
51. How much water does it take to process one ton of cane sugar to make processed sugar?
28,100 gallons
52. How much water does it take to process one ton of beet sugar to make processed sugar?
33,100 gallons

from
http://www.amwater.com/awpr1/default.html

How much water is used to brush your teeth?
2 gallons
I just don't buy that one. Check it out..one quart...maybe.

I can probably believe that one. I leave the water running (I know I shouldn't!) when I brush me teeth.

I don't even use a quart, but I know people who probably do manage to use 2 gallons. They're the office workers who let a few gallons of water run down the drain while they wash their spotless hands and then run off what must be close to 10 ft of paper towel to dry them. But nothing comes close to lawn watering for sheer wastefulness.

Lol. How much of an elephant is water. :p

It's true. I distilled one this morning and came up with 71% water. I think the extra 1% happened because it had just finished eating all the tomatoes in my garden and, as we now know, they're 95% water.

31. How much does one gallon of water weigh?
8.34 pounds

Or a much more useful conversion: 1 mL of water = 1 gram

11. How many miles of pipeline and aque ducts are in the US and Canada?
Approximately one minion miles or enough to circle the earth 40 times

I prefer to have my minions do less-trivial tasks than carry my water for me. Of course, I've got sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads to protect the water.

Speaking of units, in the water business, when talking about large volumes of water the unit used is Acre Foot- that is, a square covering the area of an acre, and a foot deep. Yay trivia! lol

Meet

I leave the water running (I know I shouldn't!) when I brush me teeth.

yes, us gardeners and our water consumption. We need to bioengineer plants that survive on sewage water!

Est, you post cracked me up, especially the minions part!

xvart.

These totals must be based on Americans who dont realize how nice it is to have this much water. When I was in Jordan our flat designed for up to 6 people only got one cubic meter of water per week. I dont know how much this is in gallons but its not much water. I know the average american would be out of water after like one shower if they dont conserve it. Though this did answer that question that has been nagging me for months now, which is how much of a chicken is water. 75% it turns out. I can get some sleep tonight finally. LOL

yes, us gardeners and our water consumption. We need to bioengineer plants that survive on sewage water!

There's actually a lot of truth to this. A LOT of water is wasted on poorly managed agriculture. Average Joe gardener is fine for the most part (though, there are the folks who demand having a large non-native lawn and ensure that their sprinklers create as much runoff as possible.) Here in Cali I've seen some bizarre things- farms pop up in the middle of the desert just because they can get the water easily enough. Good thing there's no repercussions like massive scaling-back of fishing due to habitat disturbance (EG lack of water flow -> increased prevalence of certain diseases.) Much of California around where I live was desert until water was diverted (big time.)
It's funny because when there's such big, blatant, allowed waste of water, I find it difficult to talk to person X about their leaking hose/car washing/whatever.

Est, you post cracked me up, especially the minions part!

Glad to be of service. :p

These totals must be based on Americans who dont realize how nice it is to have this much water.

Meet

Who is also meeting

I leave the water running (I know I shouldn't!) when I brush me teeth.

>_<

Hi, My name's Clint and I'm an alco... Sorry I mean I run the water as I brush my teeth, like toilets that can flush properly, and take long showers. Sue me.

And, best of all, I'm on a well so it's really like I'm STEALING everyone else's water when I waste it.

*walks away and cackles heartily

Cackle away. That well will never go dry as long as you keep plenty of water draining into your septic system.

Last month I noticed a lot of irrigation (ornamental, not agricultural) in St. Petersburg, FL is with "reclaimed" water. It's probably secondary sewage effluent, so it would take care of fertilizing too. It would be a bad choice for Sarrs, but the lawns and palms, etc. seemed happy.

Last month I noticed a lot of irrigation (ornamental, not agricultural) in St. Petersburg, FL is with "reclaimed" water. It's probably secondary sewage effluent, so it would take care of fertilizing too. It would be a bad choice for Sarrs, but the lawns and palms, etc. seemed happy.
Reclaimed water can also be refered to as "non-potable" water. It's good enough for watering lawns but not for drinking. Many times the only difference between non-pot water and tap water is whether it has been treated with chlorine. The plant I work at has between a 95% to 98% removal rate for the wastewater we treat and the water is returned to the Arkansas River. It could be used for agriculture or lawns, but we use it to keep the rafters and kyakers happily afloat :poke:

Back