What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet Woes

• Thread starter glider14
  • Start date

glider14

Always a newbie
As a good majority of you all know, i havent been around much lately. Since the Kentucky hurricane passed through(ivan? back in september) i havent had internet. the internet company says we have internet. but it does not work no matter what we try. since we moved out though we have not had DSL. which the people that lived there before us had. so now we dont have DSL because the company says there arent enough ports. what?! and no dial up. the other day my mom went to a friends house to balance her check book and went to the company page where they have a box to put in your phone number and it will tell you if you have internet availiable. we put ours in and we dont have it....but thats not whats shocking... we put my grandparents number who live 2 doors down, literally, and they have internet access. my school work sucks because i dont have regular access for research papers and such. does anyone know why this would be? why dont we have DSL now if the people before us did?

Alex

For DSL, basically they take your phone line which is connected at the exchange and move a dry pair (unused) wires onto a DSL unit in another rack. Sometimes the rack is called a LEN, which has the bank of DSL modems. What they are telling you is that they don't have anymore modems / rack space / or other equipment needed to connect you. (no ports available)

Exchanges used to be identified by the fist 3 digits in your phone number. 815-753-1000, 753 is the exchange. This isn't always the case though since there are more virtual phone numbers now and you can move them around, but still it's a good indicator. It is VERY possible that house A on one side of the street and house B across the street goto different places, belong to different trunk lines, and end up in different exchanges.

Get sprint, and get a phone that will let you share the internet connection to your computer. It's fast enough so you can at least surf the web if you can't even get dialup.

Exchanges used to be identified by the fist 3 digits in your phone number. 815-753-1000, 753 is the exchange. This isn't always the case though since there are more virtual phone numbers now and you can move them around, but still it's a good indicator. It is VERY possible that house A on one side of the street and house B across the street goto different places, belong to different trunk lines, and end up in different exchanges.

would it matter if the two had the same 3 digits? or would it have no effect on it at all.

Get sprint, and get a phone that will let you share the internet connection to your computer. It's fast enough so you can at least surf the web if you can't even get dialup.
i wish! i have ATT/ Cingular right now... when i turn 18 in april ill probably change though since ATT isnt all that good. so basically you can get the internet on your computer from your phone?

Thanks!
Alex

It's hard to say if that will still hold up or not, it's really upto the telco on how they divide the numbers. The exchanges are just an old rule of thumb.

But as for tips:
1. Check online often, as soon as someone cancels you'll want to jump on
2. Goto some type of phone company store, (if you can find one) Or try to find some local service number in your area. The close you can get to the people that actually work at the exchange, the more of a real answer you'll get. Instead you might get an operator in CA telling you what isn't open in TX, yet they just have outdated information.

But yeah with phone like windows mobile, you can share the internet to your computer. I do it all the time when I'm on the road. You can't use your phone while it's happening of course, but still it's a nice fast connection for just doing some online work.

Back