What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting theory on irrigation

An acquaintance of mine has developed what he touts as a tremendously effective way of growing plants that produces crazy-good results. Here is his web page:
Direct Irrigation Technique

I might just try this on a Nepenthes, but it's going to take some rigging. Think it might work?

Capslock

So really this should be happening every time a plant grow roots out the bottom of a pot and into the water tray?

Figures... our plants finally get just the right conditions and we take it as a signal to repot.
smile.gif

Fascinating. I might give that a shot myself. I think cheese cloth might serve as the "root penatrable" membrane.

This is a very interesting idea. If you know this guy, Capslock, you should tell him to look into adapting it to nutrient-film hydroponics... it's a technique where roots are grown on capillary mats (they look kind of like astroturf to me) with the water/fertilizer solution flowing over them. What he seems to be describing could be easily accomplisted with a nutrient-film setup - he should add it to his patent (before somebody beats him to it.)
~Joe

This gave me an idea on how to recycle my old starbucks frapaccino bottles. All though it's no where near as scientific and "pure" as what is mentioned on the website I figure it'll be better then nothing. What I did was carved a hole in the top part of the cap. I then screwed the cap over a coffee filter (I figure nylon panty hose would be superior but I am a poor college student and I came up with and constructed this idea in 5 minutes. Sue me)I then filled the bottle with reverse osmosis bottled water. I put lfs and osmunda fibre in the coffee filter and put a VFT leaf pulling in said soil mixture (I didn't feel like risking an adult VFT as most mine sadly died over winter from my garage getting too cold and rotting away) Anyways the plan is for the VFT leaf pulling to burrow roots through the coffee filter into the water. The water allows VFT to get direct access to plant while the VFT can also develop roots in the soil for what little nutrition there is. Or at least that is the plan. Now wish me luck.:blues:

Scratch that vft cutting, I just took a basil cutting of an unidentified nepenthes that in the 8 plus months I have had it, has refused to put out any decent sized pitchers so if this encourages the cutting to put out bigger pitchers so i can identify it then it is my priority.

Back