What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting behavior of D. scorpiodes

Yesterday night, I decided to feed my baby D. scorpiodes a very tiny piece of fish flake, a little smaller than the largest of its leaves. That leaf soon curled its tentacles around it, and the next day, the leaf curled around it. But I also noticed something strange with its other leaves; they too all had their tentacles curled into the center, as if they had caught something, which I know they didn't. Was this some chemical dysfunction in the plant?

-Ben

Interesting...
I think that most plants control their behavior by chemical diffusion. So if it's just a little baby scorpioides, it's probably so small that the "I caught something" signal generated by the digestive glands on the fed leaf was able to spread throughout the entire plant, triggering the rententive glands on all the leaves. But that's just my uneducated guess. It could also be that all the leaves curled because one feeding was enough and it didn't want to catch more.
~Joe

If you look really closely, you'll notice that the other ones are, in fact, giving you a thumbs-up. Except for that rebellious one... But pay no attention to him, he'll be taken care of in due course.
smile_n_32.gif

Very close to true, Est! They are actually bowing down to their benefactor, "The Man Who Feeds Us". They think of him as a god, and therefore, bow down before him. See? Smart critters!!

Maybe you accidently hit the other leaves when you were feeding the one leaf...Or not
smile_n_32.gif

Back