What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting article - Monarch navigation

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
  • Tags
    led
i saw a monarch today... I wish i had tags.
Oh well, next year i will.

Interesting article but it's seems kinda silly that scientists were surprised that when they removed a butterflies navigation system (antennae = eyes/ears) they were disoriented.

If someone plucked out my eyes and rammed chopsticks in my ears I'd probably have trouble navigating too... :-(

So it took repulsive experiments like these for these scientists to discover the importance of insect antennae?! I'm so glad the world is now a better place for having learned of this earth shattering news! HEADLINES: Cutting off a butterfly's antennae will disorient it! News at 11.

Currently the term 'DUH' comes to mind. I'm sure a couple of 10 year olds could have told them this would happen and saved them the trouble of needlessly torturing these poor creatures.

End rant.

Interesting article but it's seems kinda silly that scientists were surprised that when they removed a butterflies navigation system (antennae = eyes/ears) they were disoriented.

If someone plucked out my eyes and rammed chopsticks in my ears I'd probably have trouble navigating too... :-(

Quoted for truth.

Interesting to know though. My mom is really into monarchs and she'll be pleased to learn something new about them. I think I'll forgo mentioning the method by which scientists 'confirmed' this.

Don't personify insects too much. They have some big differences with vertebrates. If you had to compare their antennae to a part of our anatomy...which is like comparing apples and oranges...they're more like a nose or taste buds combined with fingertips. The antennae are complicated organs and we don't fully understand them by any means.

For something like ants, where they're crawling on the ground following chemical trails, antennae are of course important for orientation....but for a large flier such as butterflies, one would think the eyes would be more important. They're presumably using light cues (the sun). So that's why it is in fact surprising...we really did NOT fully understand how antennae could perform a function such as this...or really, that it was the antennae at all, and not a part of the brain! And furthermore, how complicated their orientation mechanism is.

It would be impossible for us to ever fully understand everything about insects. They are truly amazing organisms. But we are one step closer now.

Also, insects do not feel pain. So they did not suffer for this experiment.

Really? Try holding a magnifying glass over one in the sunlight and tell me the thrashing that commences is NOT pain related.

The antennae are complicated organs
No they're not, they are appendages.

I to seriously doubt that they do not feel pain. I have yet to see an organism that has a complete nervous system and that does not use it for pain recognition. Even if they are not a necessity, it would be like cutting your fingers off...

Organ: a group of body tissues that perform a function.
Appendage: a body part that protrudes from the body.

...so it's both, really.

I've wondered about the insects feeling pain, myself. I am a graduate student in entomology, and it's come up in a couple of my classes. Think about this: hold an insect by a leg. It will thrash around and attempt to escape. But if you pull the leg off, it doesn't thrash in pain...it will seem unfazed. If they felt pain the way we do, it would be the complete opposite.

Pain wouldn't be biologically as necessary for insects as it would for us. They attempt to escape from threats, of course, but that doesn't mean their nerves cause the sensation of pain. They have a nervous system, but it's not the same as ours. Again, apples and oranges.

Back