What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested...

Hey all,
A couple of days ago I started to become interested in Orchids. Are there any easy to grow species? What about the orchids from Lowes, Home Depot and Supermarkets?

They are certainly easier than Nepenthes.
smile.gif
Here's a small intro, plant from Home Depot I got.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=9928

Phalaenopsis Orchid is supposed to be an easy orchid.
I will make an orchid page when I get shots of my other plants flowering. I have a few pictures of my orchid here that has flowered for me several times:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/bonsai.html

Do your reserch and make sure you get either a phalenopsis(best thing to start with) or dendrobium.....the dendrobiums need tons of light so be forewarned......unless you have a greenhouse do not buy the Vanda's you somtimes find in thse stores...they have high humidity requirements(like 60%-70%) and need even more light than dendrobiums to bloom well...be forewarned...orchids are hideously addictive.....

Given your experience with CPs, you should be able to grow orchids as a suburbanite grows dandelions. Tell us what environment (lowland Nep, Sarr., or whatever) you want orchids for, and let us toss out some ideas.

You might have an easy time growing some difficult orchids.  What's the temperature range in that chamber?  If it ranges between mid 50s and mid 70s, or something like that, you can grow cool growing orchids I can only dream about.  What comes to mind immediately is Dendrobium victoria-regina, with blue flowers, but you can also grow Draculas, Lemboglossums, Masdevallias, and others I've given up on.  These tend towards small flowers, but the plants  would fit in among the Neps.  And would prefer a bit of shading by Nep leaves anyway.  For more spectacular flowers, check some of the Laelias.  L. crispa and L. purpurata are two I've had to trade away because I couldn't give them the combination of light and humidity they needed.  They grow big.  There are many other candidates, especially if they can get a little shade from other plants.  But the ones I've listed would be my first choices because I like them.

Back