What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in getting a tortoise

Hey fellow herp-owners,

For the past few months, I've been thinking of buying myself a tortoise as a college graduation present, which won't be for a year anyway. I've been looking into getting a mediterranean species, either the Greek, Russian, or Hermann's.
I'd need to work the exact logistics out, but I think I can handle raising it indoors, with the proper lighting, and diet. I've had lizards before, and have an Eastern Painted Turtle that's been around for... jez, ten years now? *suddenly feels a bit old*
But the thing I don't like the sound of, though, is dealing with hibernation. Not only that, but I can't seem to find any compelling evidence either way to suggest that a hibernation every year is key, or that it's really necessary when breeding (like with my newt, Cynops orientalis).
So, for people who keep this kind of animal, what has your experience been? I've never given my EPT a hibernation by any means, and he has never lost any of his "spark of life." But I don't want to go to all the trouble (and money) of getting the proper equipment and material, and the tortoise itself, only to have it die in a few years because I didn't give it a proper rest.

Thank you for your opinions,
CJ

I've bred all three of those species. Hibernation is a must for all of them, most important Herman's and especially Russian. If you don't hibernate them, they usually stop eating regardless. They stay up and active but, don't take any nutrition in. This will lead to many health problems. If you don't want to deal with hibernation, I would recommend a leopard or redfooted tortoise. If size is concern, you can go with a cherry headed redfoot or even a star tortoise. Also, make sure you buy from a reputable breeder and the animal is in good condition to begin with. You can avoid many propblems by starting with a healthy animal.

Thank you for your quick response, Cthulhu138. I'll take your advice to heart, given your experience with these animals. I was looking into the star tortoise, and they are beautiful creatures, but definitely more expensive than their mediterranean counterparts. Definitely given me some food for thought, thanks again!

-CJ

At the zoo where I worked over the summer, they had some cute little dudes called elongate tortoises, I know nothing about the difficulty of their care but they were pretty small so I thought I would mention them.

I also met a guy who had a redfoot as a pet. He gives it the run of the house and has it wear a diaper, it also has a heat lamp with a pressure plate where it can sit, seemed like a pretty chill pet.

Good luck!

This thread reminds me of my childhood. There was, and still is, a BBC program called Blue Peter and they had a tortoises, first was Freda then Maggie, Jim & George. Every year they would show the tortoises going in and out of hibernation.

Back