What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Alrighty!!  Hi everybody!  

Sorry for the long delay everyone.  Patrick/Trashcan has been working with some auction software for awhile now and unfortunately it all seemed to be a bit buggie, so we are going ahead and holding the auction here on TerraForums.  The auction will be open to anyone; you do not have to be a member of TF to bid.  So its open to Listserv members, CPUK, GardenWeb and any other person from the general public.  The only requirement to list (donate) an item or bid on an item is a desire to help out the North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC).  
smile.gif
  Spread the word!

This is an unofficial, GENERAL outline of the auction rules.  These may be revised prior to the auction but the official rules will be posted at the start of the auction.  This is just to give you a heads-up and an idea of how things will work so you can be thinking of what you want to list.

The auction will be held in a special forum created just for that purpose.  The auction will be open with a LISTING PERIOD of one week for people to post their offerings (Mon., May 10th-17th listing period).  This will give everyone, including those who don’t get onto the computer too often, a reasonable chance to get their contribution posted.  There is to be NO BIDDING at that time!  Any bids made will be deleted.  This time period is solely for accumulating the auction items and for viewing.  Feel free to check in often and view the items to see what’s being offered.  Hopefully it will grow during the week.  It will be your responsibility to actually READ all the official rules once they are posted!  Please make SURE you read them all PRIOR to committing a bid!

The ACTUAL AUCTION will start Monday, May 17th and run through May 24th.  That is a one week period to get in your bids.  Bid increments will be set (we can’t have people upping bids by a penny).  There will also probably be a low reserve set just so each items sells for a reasonable amount (reserves are a minimum bid; if the reserve isn’t met or surpassed, the item doesn’t sell).  We want everyone to have a chance to get a “bargain” but the purpose of this auction is to raise money for the newly formed NASC so we can get all the legal mumbo jumbo taken care of and get our non-profit status.  So we have to get SOMETHING for each item.

Please understand that if you are HIGH BIDDER at auction close, you are fully responsible for paying for what you won.  Please don’t be a deadbeat bidder--this is a CHARITY event.  If you can’t pay right away, then don’t bid.  There will be a reasonable time period set for getting your payment sent in.  If payment isn’t received, the item may be relisted and sold to someone else.  Payment will go direct to Paul/Casper who right now is acting treasurer (until we actually have money to worry about).  ALL proceeds will go to benefit NASC.

Please don’t be offended or angry if someone (a forum member or friend) bids against you and outbids you.  Again, this is for charity and fun and anything goes in an auction.  High bidder wins.  If you really want a particular item, bid often and HIGH!  

Each item listed will be an individual post.  All bids for that item will take place in that thread.  I’d like to ask that you not make “chit chat” posts .  We don’t want anyone to have to read through pages of talk to find the bids.  Its ok to make a comment or two in your listing post or bid post but keep it short!

Its best if you can post a photo of what you are offering so people can see what they would be getting.  If you can’t host your own photo, try to find someone who can.  If you absolutely can’t post a photo, please give a VERY detailed description of the item (size, color, species, age, condition, etc.).  We don’t want anyone disappointed after they receive their item.

I think the person donating the item will be responsible for the shipping (as part of their donation) but I’ve got to discuss that with others.  Will get back to you on that one.

You are free to offer ANYTHING you think will bring money.  It doesn’t have to be a plant.  Be creative.  While plants/seeds may be the most popular, there are many other things that might pique someone’s interest (tools, lights, T-shirts, mugs, books, soil mixes, artwork, etc.)   Just make sure that all offerings are LEGAL and meet any kind of requirements for interstate or out-of-country shipping/transference.  You do have a right to state “U.S. bidders only.”

OK...so be planning...be thinking.  If you have any questions, please post them here.  We need to make sure all bases are covered PRIOR to the actual auction.

Thanks for your patience.  NASC is in its infancy so we have a long ways to go.  And thank you for your support of NASC and SPECIAL thanks to PHIL CRANE for all his help and support!

(Sorry but I will be posting this long monster in several forums.)

Again, spread the word to all plant lovers/conservationists/earth people you know!  We need lots of donations!
biggrin.gif

PAKtioneer

I would be more likely to put up plants for auction if I didn't have to cover shipping... Why doesn't the winner pay for shippping?
rock.gif
Thats how it is on CPUK....

That is to be determined, Spec.  It may well end up that the winner pays shipping.  That's how most auctions work.  I'm waiting for some more input.

Only problem with that is...there would have to be two payments.  One to the seller for shipping and one to Casper for the payment.  That kinda sucks.  One thing people will have to bear in mind is...this is NOT eBay!  We are making do with an auction on a forum board so its going to make some things a little more difficult and definitely not perfect!

On the flip side (NOT of the Pint...hehe)...if the buyer pays, then some idea of shipping SHOULD be stated in the listing so no one gets hits with some HUGE shipping fee they didn't count on.

rock.gif
 Pros and cons to both.  You have to examine both sides of the issue.  Remember....THINK first?  
smile.gif

Thank you for caring enough to speak up and ask a question.
smile.gif
Most everybody else has been mighty silent on this issue.
rock.gif
There have been few comments or questions.

This auction WILL take a little money and a little EFFORT on everyone's part to be a success. But it really shouldn't be a huge burden. Hopefully all of those who say they want to help and that they support conservation and preservation will step up the plate and do everything they can to make this very successful! (AND fun!)

Keep your eyes on the prize...this is for the future of sarracenia in this beautiful world.
biggrin.gif

Well, I think the seller should state how much shipping he will charge
smile.gif
example:

I have a nice plump flytrap up for bid. Shipping will be payed to me in money order, $3.85 USD.
USA bidders only please
Bidding starts at 0.01
biggrin.gif

I think that would work great IF everyone committs to making an effort to get a pretty close approximation of what the shipping will be. Suppose someone wanted to offer a Halide light...will they be willing to get it weighed and figure out the shipping rate for it? I HOPE so!

And NO, bidding will not start at a penny! We cannot have "piddly" bids of a few cents. The auctions would take forever and make no money.

While we hope people find some plants and other items at a good price, the point of this auction is to RAISE MONEY. Its a charity event. I'm hoping people bid as generously as their pursestrings will allow. Its not really about GETTING something...its about GIVING something. The "getting" is just the icing on the cake.
smile.gif

I'm hoping everyone understands "bid increments". If you don't...please ask NOW!
smile.gif

More comments welcome!

oh... Well, you're more likely to get a bid from someone if it starts at 0.01 cent, and the next bid is 1.00...
rock.gif
wink.gif

I guess opening bid can be set by the lister. But the one-cent thing is just a ruse...what's the difference in a penny opening bid or a dollar opening bid when you MUST bid a dollar anyway?

Assuming actively growing, good sized plants must travel by Priority Mail, shipping costs will be $3.85 and up.  So, if a plant I donate isn't going to bring at least $4, I'd pay more to ship it than the NASC would receive for it.
sad.gif

Just a thought,will the donater set the price for the plant? Should there be a group of several people to look at the suggested price and "appraise" it based on rarity, age, size, health, ect?  This would ensure the plant was priced fairly and prevent any price gouging or laughably high prices. Just a few questions
smile.gif

Cole

This isn't about someone getting a great plant for a great deal. It isn't for any individual at all. It's for the benefit of the Sarracenia. Charity dinners don't charge what a plate of dinner costs to prepare: they charge an outrageous sum: 200.00 a plate, and those attending don't go beacuse they want a good dinner.

No one should feel disappointed when they see the price of a plant climb beyond their reach: they should be happy.

If any of my W.E.I.R.D. talents can be of use in confirming authenticity, assigning merit, or whatever, I will be happy to review the entries and write a brief comment.

Well...herein lies the snag. One person says "Yes we should have reserves!"...another says "No reserves!". Everyone has a different view. I do need to go amend the rules for opening bid and reserves. I forgot.
rock.gif
That's why I wanted people to review them! Thanks.

The temporary auction rules have been up for a while now and nobody has says anything til now...shortly before this all starts. I'm doing the best I can here...I'm not getting a lot of response.

Thanks to you folks who have responded and questioned!
smile.gif

PAKtioneer

I think it's looking good. I agree on the rules and the changes. Starting price posted by the donor sounds fine.

The main issue I see that needs resolving ASAP:
Who picks up the shipping fees? As mentioned already, I think it will hurt listings if the donor is required to pick up the fees.

Ideally the way I see it the Donor would include in the item description the additional cost for shipping or if they are picking up the shipping fees themselves. This however causes some difficulties when the donor wishing to have the bidder pay the shipping:
1. The bidder will then have to pay two people for one item.. not fun for the winning bidder. OR the person collecting the payments will have to reimburse donors for their shipping expenses as listed in each item. Not fun for the person handling the funds.

I think to have the best success.. we want lots of items listed so it should be up to the donor who pays the shipping fees. We also want lots of people bidding so make payment as easy as possible. This means in cases where they are paying the additional shipping fee they should only have to make one payment. Which leads to the person handling the funds to reimburse the donors as necessary. Is this person willing to do that? If not is someone else willing? I would be willing to track it all and make shipping reimbursements...(probably should just shoot me now
tounge.gif
)

Tony

Thanks for the input Tony. Did you see the change I made. I think it will work to solve one problem...the reserve issue.

I amended the rules to require each item have an opening bid. That opening bid should be the least amount that is fair for the item yet still leave a chance for a "bargain." So we don't have to worry about reserves.

Bid increments is still an issue I think. I don't know what to do about that.

And also the money collection being split between shipping and purchase. I feel like the buyer should pay shipping. If they were purchasing from ANY vendor...whether it be PFT, eBay, a retail store or anything...the buyer knows they are paying for the shipping of the item. That does however leave the lister to have to post SOME kind of estimate for shipping costs so the bidder can figure that into the bid. But thats how all auctions work...its no different than bidding on eBay and there are lots of people here that buy CPs from eBay all the time and pay the shipping. I have at least for the moment amended rules to make buyer paying for shipping. This can be changed but must be changed BEFORE the listing period starts which is growing ever closer!

Wow Tony...you'd track the shipping money??
biggrin.gif
Last time this was discussed, Casper was handling the receiving of the auction money. I doubt he'd like to have to turn around and then dole it back out for shipping. I guess you COULD have the payment go to the seller but then the seller would have be responsible for passing on the actual payment (donation) to NASC (Casper).

Oooooo...my head is starting to spin.......
rock.gif
Then again, that's nothing new for this dizzy broad...literally.

Gotta go... more email and PMs to take care of...

Any thoughts and ideas welcome...this is a COMMUNITY project, remember?
smile.gif
Sooooo...speak up, community!

Thanks again Tony. I better go pull my curtains back...
wink.gif

I think having each donor collect their own payments, deducting the shipping portion and forwarding the correct amount to Casper would be an error.

I would make it read in the rules that the Donor must list a shipping fee when listing an item if he expects the bidder to pay any additional fees.  If there is no shipping fee listed then the donor is picking up the shipping expenses.  And that shipping fees should be reasonable based on the item.

The only way I can really see it working for the buyer to pay the shipping fees is if Casper is able to reimburse after all the money is collected and making a single payment to each donor based on the information in each listing.  If this is too much for Casper to deal with on top of trying to notify each donor when payment is received so that shipping can commence, then I would be willing to send the individual payments out to each donor and Casper can reimburse just me for the net total.  The ball is really in Caspers court on how he would like to handle it but I think it should be either donor picks up the shipping tab in all cases or we reimburse them for their listed costs.  I think it would be a mistake to make bidders deal with sending out all sorts of payments to different people to cover shipping fees when they could instead send a single payment to Casper for all their won items and additional fees.

T

If it came push to shove, all shipping methods I know of give a receipt. That way shipping is billed as it is payed for instead of some schmuck trying to turn a penny on the shipping. Everything else sounds good to me.

Joe

While I agree that actual shipping would be better that adds just another element of folks having to deal with sending their receipts to someone for reimbursement. The more layers of folks having to communicate back and forth complicates and slows the whole process down. It also doesn't give the bidders an idea ahead of time on what to expect for shipping. I think most bidders have a good idea what it costs to ship.. so it will be fairly obvious if someone is trying to make some bucks on this end. (Which won't please the moderators either)

T

Back