What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on potting medium

G'day,
I have some seeds of Drosera regia and Drosera linearis I wish to germinate. Any suggestion on a good potting mix and growing condition for them would be helpful especially for the linearis.

Cheers,
CPKhoas

Ahhh... no good on D.regia, someone else can take that one but D.linearis is a local one here

You will need to stratify the HECK out of them seeds, a few months should be good. I would think typical peat/sand mix would do well for them, 50-50 mixed

D.linearis has a REAL short growing season, and needs a long, cold dormancy, most folks I've spoken with have had little luck with the species too far south, so some kind of fridge dormancy might be demanded depending on where you live, but outdoors year round is fine if it gets cold enough for long enough, I don't know any specific temperature range that they require, but they might be a bit tricky for you if you don't have sorta nasty winters

Thank mabudon,
It cool enough for Sarracenias and Dionaea to go dormant here, but I supect I going have to keep a spare shelf in the fridge clear.

Yeah, I think keepping an extra fridge space would be good, that darn D.limearis really likes the nasy weather- they mostly grow on totally exposed lakefronts so getting beat up by the elements is pretty much expected

Back