What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inchworms?

Has anyone ever had a problem with tiny little inchworms? I have found 2 on my jonesii and one on a flytrap flower. Two of the jonesii pitchers came out deformed and finally wilted and died. One of the flowers also died a few weeks after blooming. Most of the plant is doing fine however so far it has a few other growth points that are doing fine. I haven't noticed any issues with the flytrap yet.

Those are the only pests I have found so far that look like they might be causing the damage.

They are very small and only about a millimeter or two and move like a typical inch worm should. I don't have any pics as my squashing instincts got the better of me.

I also had a 'judith hindle' pitcher that was eaten about half way down in early spring, but that was another issue that has not occured again. Not sure what could have caused that. It looks like it was devoured in circles because there are a few complete circles just below the end of the eaten pitcher.

Mealybugs.

EDIT: Maybe not, but it might be a pest.

Nope, not a mealy bug. These are very tiny "catepillars" that have feet on the very back of there body and move by placing thier feet next to thier heads and then inching thier heads forward.

Remove them manually or treat with an insecticide such as Bt, Spinosad or pyrethrin.

I do have some pyrethrin. Safer brand 3 in 1 spray I think. Am I OK to spray the leaves. I typically just spray the base every so often as a precaution.

I would try my best to remove them all manually before using any chemicals. I typically only use chemicals and sprays as a last resort.

OK. Thanks yellowdart. I have not seen any more since a few days ago. About to go back out and check.

Back