What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

in the wilds of FL

There's a drought and I only saw a couple alligators, but there were plenty of these.

IMG_5878.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some more photos:

boardwalk through the very dry cypress swamp at Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring
IMG_5793.jpg
[/IMG]

various Tillandsia species growing along the ancient hammock trail in the park
IMG_5810.jpg

the canopy walk, 25 ft up in the forest at Myakka River State Park.
IMG_5942.jpg

pink lichens, also at MRSP
IMG_5938.jpg

sea turtle tracks at Fort DeSoto Park, at the south end of St. Petersburg
IMG_6086.jpg

Bruce,
Thanks for sharing. When were you there? (before or after the recent tropical storm went through?)

I arrived the day after the tropical storm (6/3). It dropped ~2" of rain in the Tampa area, but someone I met on a trail in Sebring said only a little fell over there. They need much more.

I love Florida. Great pics!

Awsome pics. I like that suspended bridge. I would try that even though I'm not too keen on heights.

Its really a shame its so dry there. Its pretty dry here too.

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Bruce. How large is Myakka River State Park? Is it a place to spend a day or two exploring or just a couple hours? That bridge has me intrigued. It's something my daughter and I would enjoy checking out.

Very nice. Looks like a nice place to visit. I guess the sea turtle tracks were fresh? Do they come out every night or only the few times the nest each year? That would be quite a site to see with multiple sea turtles crawling along the beach back to home.

xvart.

Sea turtle nesting on the beaches in central Florida is usually about June-August, hatching season is about August-October. Each female may nest several times per season. There are groups that give turtle walks during the nesting season but 1) they are highly regulated,ie., very little light, no flash photography, etc (at least the ones I am aware of. 2) apparently the best chance of seeing the nesting process is after midnight 3) there is no guarantee a single turtle will crawl up the part of the beach you are standing on for hours. Hey, but its fun anyway. As for the cows - if I'm not mistaken Florida is the largest cattle producing state east of the Mississippi River they are everywhere. Lastly, when the immense tropical storm passed by us it dropped a whopping 1.3 inches of rain - that REALLY put a dent in the almost 40 inch deficit we are currenly running since last year.

Wow, cool!...it's still hard for me to imagine that florida is part of North America lol.

It is when you live in Oregon lol

Nice pics!

BCK - Myakka River State Park http://www.floridastateparks.org/myakkariver/default.cfm is a large and very interesting place and I wish I could have stayed longer than the few hours I had there. That canopy walkway is only 75 ft long (I think) and only four people can be on it at a time, so I imagine it's pretty hectic at more crowded times. I highly recommend it and hope there'll be more water there if you get there.

Back