What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In over my head?

So I decided to start some new HL, LL, and intermediate terrariums.. I may be getting carried away. But I'll leave that decision as "to be continued.. " until I really get going on these tanks. At least I've found spots for them all. Now I just need to get enough lights to get these babies going! I ordered $150 worth of NZ LFS, perlite, orchid bark, and peat to fill these bad boys.. yeah, I may be in over my head. Thanks alot guys for getting me hooked. Now there's no hope for me. :crazy:

100_2710.jpg

100_2708.jpg

100_2711.jpg

word of advice (it's not the law but...): do not use the terrarium as a pot by dumping all your media into it and planting your plants in it. it's sounds like fun but it means a LOT of work in the long run: replacing the soil every now and then because of fungus growth, plants competing for space, pests overrunning the terrarium. it would be better if you kept them in pots like you always have: if you decide to change the layout of your terrarium, your plants wont go into shock every time you up root them. if you luckily spot a pest on your one of your plants early, you can take it out and isolate it from the others, no worries of fungus and competitive growth since each plant has its own pot. not saying that the soil terrariums can't be done, but it requires a lot of work and research to make sure all your plants are comfortable. if you still want to do it this way, you should talk to blokeman, he's knows what he's doing in that department. it will be fun to see you fill all three tanks out!

meanwhile, yeah, collect the lights, grab yourself some mylar/silver cellophane and some spray glue, and apply the mylar to the back and sides of the tank. :)

The picture I have in my head is all 3 tanks filled with live, lush, green sphagnum and (potted) neps sitting in it with the pitchers resting in the moss.. I have no intentions of planting them in there. That.. is too much work for this retired ol' fart.

The picture I have in my head is all 3 tanks filled with live, lush, green sphagnum and (potted) neps sitting in it with the pitchers resting in the moss.. I have no intentions of planting them in there. That.. is too much work for this retired ol' fart.

thats what i do with most all my neps untill they get 6 or 8 inches across than they go into a plain tray.......much easier to harden off small plants in aquariums with a layer of LFS in the bottom to keep the local humidity up......

That's how it all starts man!

YOU are responsible for ME working on getting some Tarantula cages setup just when I was getting ready to start rebuilding my HL setup with a collection of smaller Nep and orchid species. I will still do the HL nature vivarium and GH tanks but "first" I have to get at least one T! The book didn't dissuade me from getting one like I figured it would.

The cricket dealer had a 3-4" Rosie for $30 last time I was there so if she's still there she'll probably be coming home with me on my next cricket run (tomorrow). :D

Incase you're wondering how to go about a naturally planted tank, I will be planting my HL display vivarium without pots, the GH tank below will be pots on a bed of LFS. Plants will be mounted on branches or "fake rocks", those planted in the "soil" portion will actually be growing in a mix of shredded cypress mulch and LFS, possibly some APS (Aquatic Plant Soil which is baked clay grit not actually "soil" per se). Outside of use as a background material and now spider substrate, peat is generally banned on my premises!

This "soil" will be suspended over a false bottom made of egg crate and weed guard with a bulkhead drain in the bottom of the tank so the soil will not get boggy from the daily rains supplied by an automated mister since there will always be open air beneath the soil. It should all just run straight through and out the drainpipe to a sump below to be emptied once a week or so... I'm lazy too! LOL

I've had my Anole tank running for 3 years in a similar vein - no drainage just a hidden pipe for siphoning the accumulated water but it's the same basic plan. The only time I've had to redo it was because I felt like it and wanted new plants, the ferns I put in in the last redo are now taking over everything - even the glass!

Might need a step stool to water those plants...unless you're somewhat tall.

Is that a fishttank on top? If so, are you sure that you want to have a large container of water on top of electronics?

Is that a fishttank on top? If so, are you sure that you want to have a large container of water on top of electronics?

They are all going to be filled with LFS and plants.. none with water.

Might need a step stool to water those plants...unless you're somewhat tall.

only 6'4".. somewhat tall.

Back