What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing "house plants" from Canada legal?

I haven't been able to find any definitive information on this, so here goes:

Is it legal to bring in a potted plant, intended for household keeping, into the US from Canada without import permits or phytosanitary certificates if that plant is not restricted or endangered or otherwise on a list controlling traffick in that plant (in this case H. minor)?

From what I've read so far, my gut feeling and logic would seem to say, "no, you still need proper paperwork". As little sense as that makes on the surface (after all, bugs and germs and what not don't exactly carry passports), I still want to comply to the letter of the law, obviously. So, does anyone know FOR SURE, not maybe or probably, but 100% for sure?

No, you still need proper paperwork, it's a matter of import laws regarding plants of any kind, endangered or otherwise.

Both parties need an import/export permit.

I believe that if it's a part of moving your own household, the regulations are much simpler than they would be for simply shipping across the border. Someone has posted on it previously... I can't remember who though. But it was fairly recently, so it shouldn't be hard to find if you dig for it a little.
~Joe

Awesome. Thank you so much. I'll also notify the seller immediately as she is under the impression that it's perfectly legal to do.

By all means, don't allow her to send it. The penalties for trades across the border without a permit are staggering, and you'll be at least in as much trouble as she is.
~Joe

Sales are a completely different matter than relocating a household. Besides as I recall the member in question was/is a Canadian citizen moving from the US back to Canada.

With only one or two plants you can probably get an exemption from US Customs, the Dept. of Agriculture and the Dept. of Wildlife but you better clear it first. Else you could be facing smuggling charges.

Already taken care of and seller notified of illegal sale across borders. Ignorance is no excuse, right? So I consider myself enlightened. :)

Oh, this was a result of the auction or something then? I wasn't aware of the context.
~Joe

Ebay. I made an offer on a plant with 0 bids after auction end and didn't realize the seller was in Canada. She accpeted and sent me a PP with a .ca email, which I immediately noticed, thank goodness.

I guess it is of no use now, but the person who came from the US to canada was allowed a maximum of 20 houseplants to cross with him with his other belongings.

Gee, I hope I never have to move to Canada, my house plants number oh, maybe 50 or 60 or so. The seller relisted as Canada only and thanked me for the information I forwarded.

Back