What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Important human rights violation

A bill proposed that will make a potentially life saving procedure into a funeral home on ice

I for one think it is unconscionable, sickening ideal right out of a horror flick and the bill needs to be heavily opposed. it affects the rights of future patients as well as current ones and revokes basic human rights and more importantly people's last wishes.

link to specifics plz read and oppose this mindless madness

http://www.alcor.org/legislativealert.html

I didn't have time to read the article, but I'm guessing this is that thing that freezes people in liquid nitrogen? I don't really care about that, since the person can choose whether he/she wants it or not... only thing it costs 200,000 dollars...
tounge.gif
ghostface.gif
They choose to freeze themselves in liquid nitrogen when they die, so they can possibly be revived when/if the technology is found?

I dont see what violation to human rights that is, unless they're freezing people alive...
ghostface.gif
then i got a problem with it...

You don't see the violation because you didn't read the article.
and they cant choose if this act is passed that among other things is part of the violation. as well as the destruction of those already preserved. read the article it has allot more to do with human rights than the topic cryogenic suspension itself.

Are they already dead anyway, or beyond help of todays medications?

I agree, it is wrong.

Good question finch and very debatable, death is a tricky subject and weather or not they are dead is a hard question for me to answer however i can say that as of todays capabilities to keep them alive they are clinically dead. as they died because of the inability to keep them alive with modern medical practices, now at the point when clinical death occurs they are taken (promptly ideally) to a facility where a qualified neurosurgeon begins preservation methods on them. the are genetically preserved so in a sense genetically they are alive. they are in theory waiting for a time when science can revive them and treat there illnesses which vary in range from cancer to old age ect. another hot topic is old age. old age is a term given by people but in scientific fact old age is oxidative damage... for lack of a better description i will refer to as a "disease" which plagues mankind and in many peoples eyes is not a natural part of life but a systematic redundant failure of cells leading to and/or causing death for lack of a better explanation dubbed old age. arguably oxidative damage is a treatable disease of cells that occurs over time by way of oxidative damage a byproduct of the air we breath that slowly causes intolerable toxicity levels in cells ultimately leading to death unfortunately along the way its responsible for several failures of the human system including Alzheimer's and countless other illnesses. it in short is best described by longevity meme web site as a "many headed monster" before i get any more off topic i would like to redirect back to the topic at hand an post a brief excerpt from the alcor page this is part of what will be lost if this legislation is to be passed i urge you to read the entire article but if you cant or don't wish to read that much most defiantly read the "TALKING POINTS" section of the article.

"The Uniform Anatomical Gift Act was created as a mechanism for people who wish to donate their bodies or organs for transplant or research. For the first time in history, the Arizona legislature is being asked to restrict this fundamental human right of terminal patients. This would set an extremely serious precedent, which is contrary to the intentions of the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act and could result in Arizona being portrayed as a state which may not honor the wishes of people who are terminally ill. Research and educational institutions, which rely on the UAGA, may wonder if "they are next" and may feel tempted to relocate out of state. Medical institutions will have to study complex legislation in an effort to determine how it may apply to them"

here is some pages that you can take a look at and even if this particular topic is of little or no interest to you i think you may find useful and informative information at these sites in a vast array of other subjects including healthy life extension.
thanks for reading heres the links:

http://www.alcor.org/legislativealert.html
http://www.longevitymeme.org/newsletter/
http://www.interglobal.org/weblog/archives/003115.html

interesting..
I read the article, and nowhere can I see exactly WHY the state of Arizona is suggesting regulation!
what exactly are their reasons?

Scot

Well if you put it that way... i guess the destruction of those already preserved is morally wrong. And if some people want to be preserved, i see no reason why they shouldnt be.

Sorry i offended you.

Look, I don't mean to offend anyone, and if you don't want to hear my opinion, by all means don't read it. Yet in my personal opinion, this is not that big of a deal. Dead bodies are dead bodies, the souls of the diceased continue from there and are not affected by what happens to the body. While it is repectful to properly bury or otherwise deal with diceased, I don't know why it terribly matters in what way.

Why anyone would want to go to such trouble for extended life on earth is beyond me. If they were to be revived they would have nothing left to live a worldy life for - no family, no posessions. As a Christian I beleive everybody will live forever anyway, wether in heaven or otherwise.

Peter

Finch you didn't offend me i thought that was a great question!
Rubrarubra every one is entitle to there own opinions which is exactly why destroying those people is wrong it is there opinion and/or belief which is why they chose to be preserved just because its beyond your personal grasp to understand why, doesn't make it any less of an offense to destroy damage or alter them beyond there original wishes.
there motives are there own an should be respected regardless of weather or not you can personaly understand why they chose it not every one is from the same religious backgrounds or believes in after life as you may, reguardless
its unfair to the people who paid for a service that was suppose to be secure at the time to at a later date be subject to change by this bill if you read the article you will see the job of qualified scientists an medical Dr's an neurologists would be replaced by morticians totally an completely unqualified to be in charge of care of those in the facility's. they payed to by cryogenicly frozen and dna preserved not lost thrue the process of being embalmed.

Back