What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to build a greenhouse!!

I built one like that about 8 years ago. The only differance was that I had cross piles installed midway to the top. It worked fairly well just make sure you really secure it to the ground. I added more in ground posts. Mine only lasted about 2 years as I used plastic for the cover and in the Florida sun it didn't last. and I got tired of replacing it. Shade cloth would have been the way to go.

Good Luck

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mine only lasted about 2 years as I used plastic for the cover and in the Florida sun it didn't last. and I got tired of replacing it.

Hi. Did you use greenhouse plastic sheeting or did you use the type of plastic that's used for dropcloth and stuff?? Thanks,

-buckeye

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When do you plan on having it done?

Hi.  I was hoping to have it done by now but we've run into numerous weather related delays.  First we got about 6" of snow.  Then it warmed up but it also got windy.  Then it rained and got cold again.  Today was cold but sunny so we were able to get the bows up.  Tomorrow we're hoping to get the end frames up.  Since it’s suppose to be windy tomorrow I don't think we'll be able to put the plastic up.  Maybe on Weds. we'll get the plastic on and finish it up.  Here's a pic of it so far:
100_0477web.jpg

As you can see I live on a farm.  That fence in the background is for our sheep.  That building on the left is a little shed that I store my CP stuff in during the growing season.

-buckeye

Looks good so far.
wink.gif
What kind of endwalls are you plaaning on having? Wood or Polycarbonate?

I too am curious about this. I need a place to overwinter my CPs for while I am in college and I also live in Ohio.

Sorry it took so song to get back to you. I used the thickest plastic available at the hardware store. I didn't have the money for the greenhouse film.
Good Luck

Can you give me a list on what I need? and how much it costs? I'm Interested in building one for many reasons (I'm thinkin' about surprisin' my brother, mom and all the gardeners in my family

It's looking good so far! PVC is a fine material for greenhouses and when secured adequately can survive a lot of what the weather can throw at it. My greenhouse is now in its second year and is fine regarding UV exposure. Here's a photo from last summer:

Greenhouse.jpg

Now it has been doubled in size to 12'x4' - I'll post a new photo next week.

Hi everyone.  We finished my greenhouse on Saturday.  It ended up taking up most of my spring break since we had quite a few rainy days.  But we finally got it done and here are some pictures of it:

This is a pic of just the frame and the pvc bows:
100_0486.jpg

Here it is with the end frames on:

100_0493.jpg

Here's some pictures of it after we put a small window in the end and got the plastic on:

100_0497.jpg

100_0503.jpg

100_0505.jpg

These are my costs:
Greenhouse sheeting: 20x24' (including s&h) - $61.78

Pressure treated lumber:  
          9- 2x4x8'- $26.73
          3- 2x4x12'- $16.47
          2- 4x4x6'- $9.94
          5- 2x6x14'- $47.90 (I didn't have to buy these since my dad had enough leftover from another project)

PVC: 13- 3/4"x10' pvc pipe- $18.07
        4- 3/4" pvc crosses- $4.68
        2- 3/4" pvc tees- $0.56

Basement storm window and screen- $16.00
Misc. screws, lag bolts, EMT straps- around $15

Total: $217.13

Here's a link to the plans I used: Plans

We made a few changes to these plans in order to make the greenhouse stronger.  If you'd like to know what chages we made please PM me.

-buckeye

awesome! give us pics form inside the greenhouse, too!
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Thanks everyone!!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]awesome! give us pics form inside the greenhouse, too!

Sure, I can do that. I'll take some later today.

Ok here are some pics inside my greenhouse. It's not the best day to take pictures since it's pretty cloudy out but here they are:

First is a picture of some of my dormant sarrs (Not much to see):

100_0520.jpg

Next is a pic of the end with the window. That green thing is the shelves from one of those tiered greenhouse. I covered it with some screen to keep water from dripping on my electronic stuff. My thermometer and ultrasonic humidifier (not running right now) are on the top shelf.

100_0522.jpg

This is a pic of my thermometer:

100_0523.jpg

This is the other end of the greenhouse. That's an old storm door we had around from my grandma.

100_0526.jpg

-buckeye

Man I wish I had the money to do that, but sadly I don't
sad.gif
Like the way it turned out way to go Man! How much do you think it'd cost for a 12 x 7 Greenhouse, without shelving, and Humidifier

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How much do you think it'd cost for a 12 x 7 Greenhouse, without shelving, and Humidifier

Instead of making it 7 ft. I would recommend making it either 8 ft. or 6 ft (any even number of feet would work) since the pvc bows are 2 feet apart on center. I don't think shorting it to say 8 ft. would make it that much cheaper than a 10 ft. long greenhouse like mine. The only less expense you would have is on 2x6's on the ground frame (they'd be 8 feet instead of 10 ft), the plastic sheeting and a few pieces of pvc. I would guess this would probably save you about $20-30 dollars.

-buckeye

Back