What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

im getting a new computer

• Thread starter 7santiago
  • Start date
Exactly what is the diffrence between a mac and a windows.
I have heard macs are alot better, but why? Does anyone in this forum have a mac?

Oh god, here we go again. If you want a pc that is compatible with everything get windows. I've heard that mac's are more reliable, but nobody has proved that to me yet. Don't believe everything that the Mac cult says.

+1 Ozzy

GET A MAC.. macs CAN use windows programs if u buy "Virtual PC". but Vpc isnt very fast if the program is a very big thing..like a high graphic game. as far as mac being more reliable..u bet they are.. i have had my eMac for a lil over a year without any problems..my mother has had her windows and has had over 3 viruss and one crash in the same time period..i think that speaks for itself..

thanks

Brad

Depends on your using habits and what you want to get out of it.

If you're an experienced user, you don't need to worry about most viruses in windows. I still use 98 SE (I'm no more partial for any later version of windows,) which has a fair amount of crashed, but allegedly, XP should be better. Furthermore, WXP might be nice if you're oposite end of the spectrum and are used to windows, but need a little guidance from the OS. If you're looking for easy compatability for games and the like, then I'd go for windows.

Macs are alleged to be more stable- the veracity to this statement has always been in question by me, simply due to my experiences. I'd get a mac if you like their OS, you're not particularly hung up on playing the "latest games," or this windows operating system. If you're attracted to picture editing, video editing, music stuff (garage band, itunes, etc,) then a mac would be a good buy. There's much less concern for viruses.

Myself? I do a little of everybody. But On my machine at home (where I am now) I've got windows and Linux. In my experience, windows has always been a little... Pushy. It tries to tell YOU what it's gonna do instead of you telling it what you want it to do (drivers issues, firewall issues, etc, etc.) However, Apple makes inferior basic peripherals (one-button mouses are obsolete. I also don't dig their keyboards. etc) Of course, you can always use any other mouse or keyboard in your mac.

Have fun choosing.

GO MAC!! There is a thread on here somewhere (recently) that discusses Mac vs. PC.

I've always used a Mac, love Macs...hate PCs. And by the way...Macs were the FIRST to use the Windows interface. Macs never used DOS. The IBM clones saw how popular it was and easy to use and copy-catted it...first running it over top of DOS. UGH.

+5 for PAK!
smile_n_32.gif

It would be a shorter list to figure out what Microsoft hasn't copied/stolen/assimilated.

Ok, I am geek. I admit it.
Opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not reflect on any of the other members or managment of petflytrap.com.
I will try not to be to degratory or harsh.

Windows sucks!

While it has improved vastly since the days of win98 provided you just ignore the whole winME time period. Of course windows is easier to use, and easier to infect with viruses and trojans. The security holes are match only by M$ unwillingness to release the patches for them. In simple terms if you don't want to have to think at all when you use a computer windoze is for you. Nothing like buying a computer, then paying for the operating systems and then buying M$ office for an additional couple hundred bucks. All to have it infected within 24 hours of going on the internet.

Is Mac much better, hmmm, yes and no. Here is an operating system built on the unix varient known as FreeBSD ( a system I am partial to). I will say this OSX (Mac operating system) is a very nice piece of software but it does have a bit of a learning curve to it. However you can become familar with it quickly and once you do, you will never want to use a windoze system again.

Now for the scary thing the $$price$$. While companies like dell , hp, and others advertise prices that seem almost half of Apple, by the time you are done adding the things you will need to the system, you will find that you price is on par with the Macs. With Macs there is much more in the initial package than with a windoze inital system.

I can tell you that you will be very happy with a Mac and if you are not they will brainwash you until you are. M$ doesn't care if you are ever happy as long as they get your money.

Now I mentioned that I am a geek. Just to show you how much of one. Geeks will understand this windows users will be mystified.

[bhorne@Hyde:bhorne, 12:47 AM, Sat Feb 25]>uname -a
FreeBSD Hyde.bjh.homenet 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Sun Dec 11 20:33:24 EST 2005 root@Hyde.bjh.homenet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SCHIZO i386

Sincerely,
Brendhan

PS. let the flamewar begin I have plenty of gas to throw on the fire, I have been eating beans and cabbage.

I've had windows xp since it was released and have never had a problem with it (viruses or M$ exploits). As long as you have a virus scanner and know what you are doing, you won't have issues.

MAC can't even come close to PC when it comes to gaming. They are just not there yet. MAC's are way way more priced than PCs. Anyone who buys from Dell, HP, or Gateway should seriously look into building their own machine. You can buy your own hardware individually for a way cheaper price. MAC's you have to go the Apple store.

BTW don't be so confident on MAC's security. The only reason it isn't plagued with viruses/worms/exploits is because more people use M$. Now that MAC is gaining popularity, it is now becoming the target of malicious code. Check BBC, there have been 2 stories already recently about it. One had to do with iChat and the other had to do with the way OSX handles downloads. The MAC is not a Dunbar armored truck.

When choosing between a MAC and PC, it comes down to cost and what you are going to use it for. If your into games, the MAC is not for you. Everything else will be fine. All preference. One last thing, MAC can run linux now I believe with the new intel chips.

I ditched Windows almost 6 years ago and will never go back. Too many hassles. Worms, viruses,trojans,spyware,malware,etc. Windows is so full of security holes it's like trying to save liquid in a sieve.

Recently a few trojans have come out for the Mac OS however we Mac users are not the least bit worried about it. They are basically very lame, weak attempts at causing trouble.

I say go Mac but it's your call in the end.

Tom

I Went to the apple store

I bought a mac within five minutes, THEY ARE THAT AMAZING!!!!!

Its not that expensive, they have finacing for it, i have to pay a mininum of 17 bucks a month ( clearly i can easilly go faster and pay more )

Safari(internet explorer for macs)is REALLY FAST and i just love this dashboard, it has the weather, carlorie counters, stocks, news,translator, unit converter, flight tracker, and i can download many more!

Im never going back to Windoze

Back