What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm dieing

Ah when its hot here in town i like to sit under our 200 year old Bur Oak. The thing casts such a dense shade that only crocuses can survive. It has 10-inch long leaves! Oaks are so neat. Spec you should plant a oak to cast dense, cool shade. Bur oaks are huge! But a rare blue oak would be more apropriate for your climate.

It's cool and rainy here in Reading, PA.

Just to put it into perspective, it got at least 90 degrees today (that was the official temp when I looked), and the RECORD for this day was 85 degrees in 1935. So we broke the record by at least five degrees today. Yikes!!!

Capslock

We really dont need air conditioning at our house. The bur oak has a diamiter or 93 feet and completely shades our house from the sun. I just hope those massive branches arnt going to fall off anytime soon!

chance of frost overnight tonight..
I thought about bringing my CPs in for the night, but im going to just let them deal with it..might not hit 32..even if it does, they can take it..
(only VFT's and Sarracenia outside right now..all the Neps are still in)

Scot

I feel your pain. I have no air conditioning though and sweat my skinny aaa...rear end off in the summer. Taking a cold bath works most of the time. Humidity SUCKS!!!
mad.gif
I do enjoy the cheap gas bills during the summer that is a positive.

where are you at travis, where there's no a/c???

it gets HOT HOT HOT here. i really feel it when i walk to class for about a mile from the parking lot and am just sweaty and gross by the time i get to the building. yup. i could'nt survive here w/o the a/c.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (butthead @ April 27 2004,5:37)]where are you at travis, where there's no a/c???
I am in Michigan but my house does not have a/c. Snowing this morning so I comfortable right now.
cool.gif

Hehe. We have perfect temps here right now, but do not fear, it will not last.

Oh, you Northern Cali people are babies!
tounge.gif

What I wouldn't give for some nice, sweltering heat right now.
A nice, not day is like mother nature giving you a warm hug!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ April 27 2004,5:53)]Oh, you Northern Cali people are babies!  
tounge.gif

What I wouldn't give for some nice, sweltering heat right now.  
A nice, hot day is like mother nature giving you a warm hug!
To hot and mother nature will strangle you.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
Well that explains why they are the California Raisins. tee hee

Going to be close to 100 today, and I am celebrating. My sarracenia love it and I keep their humidity up. Brings out the color in my flava var. rubricorpora. They like it hot, as do the atropurp's. My inefficient oreophila's are catching more insects than any of the other new leaves that are open with them and the tube is halfway full. The other three oreo's are late sending up pitchers, but this heat will help them grow. I am not worried about me, I work outdoors all day and am used to the heat and the cold. Those who live in cooler climes have it bad around here when heatwaves hit. Spec!! Don't melt on us, man! Hang in there, and I will send you some popcicles!! Go live in Death Valley for a few years, and when you get back, it will seem cold to you here!

Man, we're in for another one today. It's hotter now than it was yesterday at this time.

The problem is NOBODY in northern California has air conditioning. Usually, there are only a handful of days where you'd want it, but this is our second hot spell, and it's still spring! Normally, we're much more concerned with our furnaces functioning.

The other problem is our humidity drops a lot when it gets hot. I've got a N. mira and a N. aristolochioides both just deciding to pitcher, and who knows what they'll think of 90 degrees and 30% humidity.

Capslock

It's freezing here today!! It's 41 with 20+ mph winds and rain or even sometimes a little snow. It's suppose to get down into the low 30's or upper 20's tonight. Yesterday it was like 75 and tomorrow it's suppose to be almost 70!! Talk about your temperature swings!!

-buckeye

90* temps and only 30% humidity? you're so fortunate ( well except the part about having no a/c) It gets into the 100's here with 80% humidity!!! *walks up to the grill* "yes, I'd like my Texans steam broiled, thank you". And, I've lived in several houses where you can set the a/c unit to 60 but the coolest it gets is about 88* Also it lasts from MAY TO MID SEPT. You know what I've found that works really well at beating the heat-NOTHING
tounge.gif

No really ya'll be cool now ya hear.

Checking weather.com again, and death valley is actually 10 degrees cooler than it is over here! We are roasting at 100 degrees with 12% humidity
sad.gif

How odd...tonite its supposed go down into the 30s here.
sad.gif
VERY unusual. And I just moved a lot of the orchids outside. We've had strange weather this spring...from almost 90 last week to 30s tonite. Not your typical 70-degree VA spring.

EEEEEEK! my greenhouse went to 130 degrees, it was 100 outside... (in this part of pacific grove)
The neps didnt seem to care, but some of the sarrs wilted, but sprang up again tonight... 50% humidity, i was all STICKY AND SWEATY!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
sad.gif
mad.gif

Y'all can keep your heat and humidity! You can always add a layer of clothes, but you can only go so far in the other direction. I'll take 4 seasons and snow shoveling to 9 months of heat.

Back