What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm asking again

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Dormancy is coming up, and instead of having half my dormant plants die off during dormancy, I'm gonna try to have them not die. What kind of fungicide should I use throughout dormancy and exactly how should I use it for VFTs, S. minor & S. purpurea?

THANKS.

I don't remember that, so here are some questions. It always seems a person can't get one question answered around here without answering a few herself. Where do your plants spend their dormant season? Are they outside or in a fridge or what? What kind of plants?

i use schultz

As I said, they're VFTs, S. minor and S. purpurea. They spend dormancy outside and half always die off from fungus every year.

Schultz what? I need to know specifically what to use and how to use it (i.e., diluting it, applying it, etc. etc. etc. etc.).

It sounds they are too wet during the winter. Try to keep then a little dryer. I don't use anything.

PFT sells a fungacide that works well. It is listed under chemicals and fertilizers on their website. I have never lost a VFT.
===========================
Cleary Fungicide
Exactly what the doctor ordered!
Because carnivorous plants grow in especially damp conditions, they are prone to various fungus and molds/mildew. These professional grade fungicides are now available in small doses for the home and casual grower to control these sometimes lethal pathogens! The only fungicide you'll EVER need!

Cleary 3336WP: Used for topical fungus/mold treatments of all carnivorous plants. Can be used as a spray for topical control or as a drench to prevent fungus... $3.99
===========================

Do ya think plain old cinnamon might work?

Suphur. It physically prevents any spores that land on the rhizome from germinating.

Plants in an airy mix will do fine without fungicide.  I use a mix of LFS and sponge rock.  Lots of plants that do fine in skunky mixes during the active growing season will die when it gets cold and they settle down for winter. So either keep them drier or pot them in a looser material.

Trust me, they're almost totally dry during winter. I don't think that's a problem. And the only medium I use/can use is peat moss & perlite.

As I said... something easy to get... as in, at Lowes or WalMart... can't really order off the internet.

Where do I get sulphur?

try dusting them with some sulfur. I'm going to this year.
Last year I just kept them outside, it worked.

I use a fungicide from Wal-mart- Schultz. They sell a fungicide that works just fine. Read the directions on the bottle. I leave my plants in pots through the winter. When I prepare them I spray the entire plant and the top of the soil with the fungicide. Then I put them to bed - that is, next to a basement window with insulation behind them so as to be insulated from the warmth of the house.

Holy fudge, thanks. *makes mental note*

I used fungicide once during dormancy and killed my vfts (back in 2002). I used the fungicide that they recommended in Savage Garden. Maybe it was due to my lack of experience at that time but I stopped using fungicide. I just put my plants in the refrig and with no fungicide. They seem to do just fine, the fungus that does grow I just simply scrap off with a spoon.

Well, mine are outside during dormancy. Plus, I'm talking about the fungus that infiltrates below the soil that you have no idea is there until the whole plant dies and you dig it up and look at the rhizome.

Like Ozzy said, you must be keeping them too wet if the rhizhome goes to heck.

God, any drier and they'll be bone dry this winter.

Back