What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ill d.paradoxa

Hi everyone,
I recieved a D.paradoxa today(thanks shokuchuu
smile_m_32.gif
)
but.......its in a very bad shape.
It fell out of its pot in transport and some of the leaves are snapped off while others are dewless and geenrally the plant looks very ill.
Is there ANYTHING I cand o to get it back to the quality before it was sent?
It also has a flower stalk on it, should I cut this off?
Dino

Warm (about 90F), moist, and high light.

I'm sorry to hear that.
smile_h_32.gif
I knew I couldn't trust the Royal Mail to take notice of the "FRAGILE" on the box, and the storage mustn't've been snug for the plant overnight.
Like Joseph said, keep it warm and moist. Mine is still almost too happy on my windowsill propagator. Also, propagate!
Good luck, this is also one of the challenges in growing petiolaris complex Drosera!

May I ask how it was shipped? I have sent this plant out to a few people and it has struggled / died .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 20 2005,3:49)]May I ask how it was shipped? I have sent this plant out to a few people and it has struggled / died .
thanks for the enthusiasm
smile_o_32.gif

I'm looking for practical advice because I still have a trade request involving this plant. For once I was being serious.

I'll answer your question Jimscott, since I shipped it. I scrunched pieces of newspaper into the sides and corners of the box, and left a circle in the centre for the plant. Now, I ALWAYS ship plants of this caliber potted, in a container it's been growing in for a while. For the pot itself, I make a sleeve out of paper and slide the whole thing in and seal the bottom. This way, I do minimum damage to the leaves. One thing I didn't have time to do on this occasion is come up with something to hold the plant in its place, like a cup lid (inspired by Dean Cook). Up to this point the plant was fine, but the finishing touch is guaranteed next day delivery. I sent this plant first class and though it did arrive the next day, Dino didn't receive it straight away. It stayed in storage overnight, like I mentioned previously, and that must've got it. That and the brutish handling the post "service" practices. Also, next time I'll ship in polystyrene boxes only. So yeah, it's important to take your time when packing plants. This was some challenge I must admit, since I'm so much more used to packing Neps!

Amori

Understood. Thank you? One that DID ship well enough from me was in a 50 ml centrifuge tube, with extra layers of moist paper towels. But it was send "ground" instead of 1st class. I will have to minimize transit in the future as well as separate oy plants into individual containers.

Hey, aren't you from Michigan? Where exactly IS Meijers Gardens? Is it anywhere near Ann Arbor or Detroit?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ April 20 2005,1:43)]Warm (about 90F), moist, and high light.
I received 3 plants recently (all shipped bareroot):
- Drosera paradoxa
- Drosera petiolaris
- VFT

The VFT was mush. The Drosera paradoxa was a huge plant w/ 2 flower stalks but appeared dryed out. The Drosera petiolaris looked a little rough (normal shipping trauma).

Placed the Drosera paradoxa & Drosera petiolaris under high light, high humidity & high temps (90's). The D. petiolaris is doing fine (dew on new leaves and some old) and the D. paradoxa continued to dry up and is now looking crispy. It's now been about 2 weeks.

Should I cut off the top of the D. paradoxa & hope for sprouting from the roots? Any other thoughts / recommendations?

Thanks,

Back