What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iguanas

I have had my Iguana for maybe 4 months. She just got her second deworming shot about a week and a half ago and since then she only nibbles at her food. I don't know if that affected her eating or what. Also doe's shedding affect the way they eat for a while because it does affect her behavior towards me.

Does anyone have any advice to get her eating well again.

As far as food prep goes I use about 50% greens (dandelion and romaine) a chopped vegetable like green beans, squash, carrots occasionally, celery,just whatever else.(food processed) Sometimes up to 3 veggies. Also a fruit like watermelon or cantalope, strawberries, etc. And then I mix alfalfa into it and a calcium supplement and sprinkle some commercial ig food on top for more color.

Thanks,
John

I had a Iguana for a few years, a long time ago. When they are little they eat insects, as they grow they will eat more vegetables. At adulthood vegetables are all they eat. I notice that the 1 had when he was young was not eating vegetables all that well. Once I started feeding crickets, he fattened up and grew really fast.

What happened to your iguana?? You said you *had* an Iguana I am just curious.
I might try to feed crickets there are tons around here do you think that I could just feed a wild cought cricket to her or should I buy them from a pet store.

i would not advise using wild crickets unless you can be absolutely sure they have not been exposed to any from of pesticide. If your iguana ate the pesticide it could cause it to get very sick. I would just buy the crickets if i was you, but thats just my opinion.

ktulu

ktulu is correct about using field caught crickets.
I said had an iguana because he started to get to big so I traded him in for some other lizard. The longest lizards I kept, a little over 8 years, and even bred for a while was Leopard Geckos. This last Dec. 02, I traded them all away and went back to tropical fish. I usually switch back and forth every couple years between fish and lizards.

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/geckos.html

if all husbandary needs are good (uvb bulbs, heating, temps, etc) then i guess the iggie needs some variation in it diet. Like humans, lizards can get bored of a food item. Try adding some clean dandelion flowers or even rose petals into its salad diet. make sure there were no pesticides, etc on the flowers.

Yeah actually I have occasionally put rose petals and dandelion flowers into her food. She did eat alot yesterday more than she has in a long time. And I talked to my reptile vet and she said that sometimes deworming treatments drastically affect the way they eat. So I just hope she will keep eating as much as she did yesterday and she should be okay.
Thanks for the help everyone,
John

Back