What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify this nep.......

I bought this Nep about two months ago from Cook's as a cutting. But apparently there was some mix up and I didn't get an N. X 'Effulgent Koto'. So I would like to know what it is.

I am currently growing it under lowland conditions with lots of light. This pitcher is four inches tall.
Pitcher%20front.jpg

Pitcher%20side.jpg

Pitcher%20leaf.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Oops, is there anyway I can resize those pics?

Matti it doesn't look that much like a x coccinea. I have one and it never lookes like that(and now it has mature pitchers) I've seen that nep and I foorgot its proper name....hmmm
confused.gif

Monkey man

I just spent most of the day out at Dean's place hanging out and talking plants. You should just drop him a email with a picture and ask him what he thinks, he is pretty amazing when it comes to identifing hybrids and what not. Then you should tell us what he thought.
Here's his email: cooks@flytraps.com

Chris

I found it Monkeyman: it's the nepenthes glabrata!
biggrin.gif
It's got to be! It looks identical!
tounge.gif

N. Glabrata has thin leaves with tiny thumb size pitchers. N. x Coccinea has different pitchers, too. I think it may be a hybrid involving N. Rafflesiana.

I tend to agree it's not x coccinea. The shape isn't quite right, nor the coloring. I'm almost thinking raflesiana x maxima
confused.gif

Well, seeing how N. x coccinea has rafflesiana in it[I believe it's (N. rafflesisana x N. ampullaria) x N. mirabilis], one of Matti's choices may not be out of the question. It's possible it's a hybrid involving N. x coccinea. I think Dean would be the best choice. I know Extotica sell's a lot of hybrids involving N. x rokko, so who knows?

Regards,

Joe

I asked Dean and he said it looks like rafflesiana x chelsonii.

Nepenthes look different under different growing conditions, west coast plants often look different than east coast plants, it's either a x wrigleyiana or a x dormanniana, but I'd have to see the foliage as well as a pitcher in hand to make a possitive ID. I go help from Bruce Lee in Florida.
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ April 07 2003,6:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, seeing how N. x coccinea has rafflesiana in it[I believe it's (N. rafflesisana x N. ampullaria) x N. mirabilis], one of Matti's choices may not be out of the question. It's possible it's a hybrid involving N. x coccinea. I think Dean would be the best choice. I know Extotica sell's a lot of hybrids involving N. x rokko, so who knows?

Regards,

Joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Are you kidding me, it has nothing of amp in it. The leafs are different ok meybe the wings but Raff have bigger wings then amps. I don't thank there is any mirables in it either.
wink.gif

I think it's N. x dyneriana (sp?). BTW it's NOT N. glabrata, it's a highlander.

I agree With Dustin it's not a N. glabrata because the wings are smaller on a Glabrata and the lid the slippery glands look different on both of the plants. Th leafs on both plants look different as well. What ever you have there don't trade it, find out what you have first, becaue what ever you have can be a rare speciment.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
have Fun rowing that nep!
smile.gif

Back