What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification help

Hi,

I bought a few unidentified carnivorous objects (UCOs) over the winter, and now they have enough growth to make a reasonable attempt at identification. Here is the first one:

unknown_sarr01-small.jpg

To my untrained eye, it appears to be an S.rubra ssp. rubra. It has red flowers and is pushing out a lot of pitchers.

Here is number two:

unknown_sarr02-small.jpg

Before the pitchers opened, I thought it was an S.flava since it looked flava-ish and had deep yellow flowers, but now that the pitchers have opened, I think it looks more like an S.alata. To me, it looks kinda rubra-ish because of the size (under a foot), but they all have red flowers, right? So maybe this is just a young S.alata.

Here is the hard one (for me at least):

unknown_sarr03-small.jpg

It looks like it has some strong S.flava influence in it, so I'll guess that that is one of its parents. The frilly lid, the height (first pitcher of the season is over 2' tall), and the salmon-colored flower makes me think the other parent may be S.leucophylla, but I don't see any white in the top of the pitcher. What do you think?

Moved to Identify That Plant! forum.

xvart.

Yeah I think that last one might be a Moorei (FlavaXLeuco).

alata has pale yellow to white flowers. no red. the top two look like two different types of rubra. the las one as Maxx said looks like Moorei :)

Alex

I thought #2 looked like a rubra, but with yellow flowers, I figured it was S.alata, unless there is a yellow flowered rubra species out there.

Back