What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for extremely tolerant species for a bog garden in broken arrow oklahoma

I live in zone 7 i know how to grow my plants but dont think sundews will appreciate the scorching heat, i know that i want sarracenia flava and purpurea purpurea but the more cold tolerant something is usually the less heat tolerant it is, so with both of my extremes summers constant 100 f and winters 20 f to 40 f i would like the experts opinions i was thinking about drosera intermedia or drosera filiformis and if those dont work just a capensis or spatulata with typical vfts i have a wide pot 18 inches across 8 inches tall with no holes on the bottom but instead holes halfway up the side of the pot with peat and perlite with a top dressing of sphagnum with sarracenia rubra in the pot as well

That is my plan

Last edited:
You could probably grow most sarracenia just fine. Just provide them with some shade cloth during the hottest parts of the summer to prevent scorching. I know some people in TX experience scorching in the summer and shade seems to help prevent it. Go with larger pots too, in lighter colors. The extra size should help buffer against temperature swings a bit and lighter colors won't absorb as much heat from the sun if thats been a problem for you.

Last edited:
If you want something grown outside year round, forget having pots and look into building a bog garden, otherwise the extremes will end up killing even cold-tolerant plants because in a pot (unless it's a huge, bog-like pot) the roots will freeze and plants that aren't covered in a thick layer of mulch will dessicate, and covering a bunch of pots in enough mulch is a lot more of a hassle than covering a bog garden. Anything that is not a true temperate (so forget capensis and spatulata) will not survive outdoors year-round either, because they can handle frosts, but not freezing.
If you are willing to provide a sheltered location for plants in winter so they don't experience constant temperature swings (constant cold is not an issue if protected right, but warm to cold and back all the time is), then a lot of temperate and subtropical plants can be grown just fine outdoors the rest of the year in large pots. Most species experience high heat in their natural environments, and most are more than tolerant if insulated right when things get too cold or hot (protecting the roots is the issue, hence bigger pots are better and bogs better still, especially if the intent is not to move them). I grow all my Sarracenia and several Drosera outside all summer, and it exceeds the 90's and 100's F here on a regular basis in summer; in winter they move to the basement where it stays cooler but they are not subject to constant/rapid temperature swings.

Back