What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for Sundew Experts!

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
One of the staff in the bio department here at Texas A&M gave me this Drosera from her back yard (Brazos County).

My best guess is D. brevifolia. It's the size of a quarter. It has deep pink flowers -- but the whole plant is lookin kinda ugly because I transplanted it.

Any comments or suggests as to what it is will be greatly appreciated. If you want some, please email me at 6wongsljp*gmail.com (replace * with @) and we can work out a trade eventually next season. I'm gonna try to germinate the seed and take lots of cuttings so I can spread this thing around!

Crappy pics:

0429001204.jpg

0429001203.jpg

0429001205.jpg

Please let me know if you need any more photos to confirm the ID.

Thanks!

Looks like you've already figured it out :)

Thanks A TON guys for the quick ID!

Is it true this plant makes tubers? I really don't want to upset it by digging it up. The lady who gave it to me said she only sees them alive for 3 months during spring.

So they must have summer and winter dormancy?

I've never grown these outdoors, but so far, it looks like they act like D. capillaris- while they have a winter dormancy in nature, they have never gone dormant on me for a year indoors, when photoperiod was kept constant at 16 hours a day, and temperatures never exceeded 80F. Can't speak for those who switch up photoperiod though.

Outdoors, it's likely that the higher temps may influence summer dormancy (and of course, winter dormancy is normal). I never heard about tubers before. That's very interesting if it's true.

Back