What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibicella lutea seeds grew!

I happened to check my yard and my Ibicella lutea seeds sprouted they were growing in the pots i had placed out into the hot sun.
smile_n_32.gif
THey are really dewy looking plants.

Where did you get the seeds? Been looking for good seeds.

Rick

How did you germinate them?

i germinated them by planting in a miracle gro potting mix. i placed the seeds in the sunniest spot in my yard. the temps here are like 85 - 95 degrees and kept the soil nice and moist. i pretty much left them alone cause it rained enough and then in about 2 weeks after planting them they are up.

I got these seeds from Carnibank

Miracle grow mix?! I didnt know you could use that for CPs!
You learn something every day! lol
laugh.gif

Dino

P.S
Maybe you could write out an Ibicella germinating guide and ask a mod to pin it on top of the page!
smile.gif

I could do that!
smile.gif

Also starman you can only use this mix for this plant. other cps it would kill them. because miracle gro contains copper which is deadly for most cps. This plant likes it hot and usually sprouts as soon as the summer thunderstorms come. well funny thing after it being hot and dry after it rained on my seeds they sprouted the next day.
smile_n_32.gif

But I thought miracle grow was full of nutrients, and I though nutrients are not good at all for CPs......................

I am looking forward for your germinating guide.
smile.gif

I am going to get some seeds of this plant, so I will find it very useful!
smile.gif

Dino
smile.gif

ok if you get seeds and need help you can always ask me , or whatever. im sure by the end of this year i might have seeds from the plants i have now.

Starman,
I.lutea is not carnivorous...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP2k @ Aug. 02 2004,4:09)]Starman,
I.lutea is not carnivorous...
Thanks carnivorkid!
smile.gif

How come its not carnivorous?
confused.gif

well they say it is and it isnt. the reason that it can be fertilized is its a family of its own .

heres a picture. even the first leaves are sticky like a sundew. its a little blurry.
IMG_0614.jpg

Hi Starman,

Why aren't Petunia plants carnivorous? They catch plenty of insects. The same can be said for Tabacco plants, which are sticky also. The reason Ibicella isn't carnivorous is because the plant catches insects for defensive purposes. It does not digest insects(no enzyme production) and there is no clear mutualistic relationship involved(as in Roridula, Byblis liniflora etc.). It also does not absorb nutrients through its leaves(unlike B.liniflora and Roridula).

Carnivorkid,
Exactly where is it said that the plants are carnivorous?? The reason it can be fertilized is because it is not carnivorous. I have yet to find any carnivorous plant that can be grown in nutrient rich soil and fertilized daily...
This is probably because I.lutea grows in an area where carnivorous habits are not necessary because the soil contains enough nutrients.

What kind of miracle grow mix did you use? I know there are a few mixes. Like cacti mix and house plant mix.

i used miracle grow houseplant mix but really any is fine because some are made different for say a african violet in which perfers a certain soil mix.

Did you add anything else to the houseplant mix? It looks like there is bark in it.

These plants will pretty much grow fine in a variety of soil. In the desert, there is no houseplant mix or miracle grow soil....Just be sure to give them lots of fertilizer.

Yeah your right i believe i mixed the soils in with other left over houseplant potting soils they are actually chunks of like dirt. I could post a new picture because i repoted it and it has two real sets of leaves with more coming. ITs such a nice a dewy plant. you touch it and its like wet and it has a certain smell to it.
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, but how does it taste? Cool plant. I want to try this one sometime too. Congratulations on your success.

i dont think i would want to taste it
smile_n_32.gif
yeah i just hope mine would produce seeds and i could offer some.

Back