What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I saw something the otherday that floored me

and if you did you would be missing several important nutrients

Exactly.

I'm with Grim. Just do SOMETHING.
I don't know how many people I've argued with that said "I can eat this, cause it's low in carbs". They're holding a low carb cheesecake. I'm like "When in **** did a cheesecake become healthy?" There is NO way to make lard healthy, among many other foods. Low carb or not.

Joe

I'm anti low-carb.

There's NOTHING like a good homemade loaf of crusty sourdough, rye, or pumpernickel bread right outta the oven! Even better - make small round loaves, scoop out the top and use as a bread bowl for chowder.

Low carb stuff makes me want to just gag. All that 'low carb this' and 'low carb that' marketing and packaging is such a joke. Hmmmmmm, look at the labels low-carb = super high in CORN SYRUP!!

WildBill

I ate a low-carb, super-uber-nutritious (it had, like, fifty million nutrients), toffee-chocolate flavored diet bar yesterday. Well, I threw part of it away. That thing was <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>NASTY!!!!</span>

They're all nasty
smile_t_32.gif

you know what? it DOESN'T matter what you eat, EVERYTHING IS BAD FOR EVERYONE. It just doesn't matter. It goes along with everything. Meat is bad, veggies are bad, atkins is bad. Eat a balanced diet and exercise regurally and you will be alright. I am very tired of all this stuff as well. it goes for pregnancy as well. what was good yesterday isn't today and what is good for tomorrow isn't for today. poppy nice guy!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Rattler...I wasn't mad.  
smile.gif
 I just get tired of hearing people quote that because they heard someone else say it who heard someone else say it...etc. without checking FIRST to see if that is TRUE.  It was known that he had a heart ailment totally unrelated to his low-carb lifestyle.  But all the programs that have a vested interest in swaying someone AWAY from a low-carb diet LOVE to promote that statement.  And so it spreads...another rumor.

Also from the comments here, I see most people don't know much about the Atkins approach or you wouldn't be making comments about eating a bunch of meat and not having any carbs.  You do NOT have to 1) eat a ton of meat  2) eat a ton of fat  3) never eat any carbohydrates.

If you follow the program, you eat quite healthily--salads, veggies, meat, fish, dairy, fruit, high-fiber grains, etc.   You most certainly DO eat carbs; carbohydrates are needed by the body and Atkins does not deny that.  The point is more to REDUCE the consumption of carbs such as sodas, cookies, cakes, potato chips, breads, processed flours, loads of pasta, etc.  The carbs you do eat are "healthy" carbs...high fiber grains, carrots, beets, corn, fruit, etc.  You can also have sweets and junk foods--you just eat those types of high-carb foods in MODERATION.  The key is: moderation of carbohydrates...not elimination.

The medical profession has become more accepting of Atkins approach to a healthy lifestyle and have begun to back it more as studies have not shown any significant adverse reactions to the diet WHEN ITS FOLLOWED PROPERLY.  If someone chooses not to ever let a carb cross their lips and drink vats of fat, then I'm sure they are in for problems.

Again, usually the detractors know only of the diet what they heard from someone...who heard it from someone else...who heard it from someone else.   I live the Atkins lifestyle and I eat quite healthily and have "bad" food when I want it.  I just don't have pancakes with syrup for breakfast, hamburger and french fries for lunch, bag of Cheetos for a snack, baked potato and pasta salad for dinner and a thick slice of chocolate cake with a milkshake for dessert.  In particular as you age and your metabolism slows down, meals like that WILL convert to extra pounds.  When you are young, most people burn fat and calories MUCH faster so you can get away with more of the junk stuff.  But obesity in children is becoming a national epidemic yet we stick McDonald's and Taco Bells in schools.

Everyone has a right to their opinion of ol' Dr. Atkins way...but get the facts first before you start to slam it.  
smile.gif
BTW...just by virtue of the fact that some of you are saying "I'm sick of hearing low-carb this and that" goes to show you how many people have come around to this viewpoint are living it; the demand is there for consumers to know just WHAT they are getting in the foods they buy. Ruby Tuesdays restaurant has revamped their menu so that EVERY item on the menu has the calorie/carb/fiber/fat grams listed so they can accommodate just about any diet. Yay for Rubys!

i didnt mean to slam Dr. Atkins. what made me laugh is the ridiculous sounding atkins pancake syrup. it came across as an oxymoron. i fully agree with you in that it is a LIFESTYLE not a diet and i mentioned that in comparing it to vegitarianism. calling it a diet is rediculous. i can see how it works and understand the consept BUT like was mentioned before: low carb cheesecake?!?! eat healthy for the week than have the REAL stuff as a treat you'll be much happier in the end as far as im conserened. eating the low-carb version on a daily basis isnt any better than the real thing. i prefer whole grains and lean meat but low carb pancake mix? ill pass.

Rattler

I can't possibly begin to comprehend how most kids and teens my age are becoming so overly obese. They must eat horribly, because I know and realize that I eat a lot of junk food, but I also eat just as much healthy food. I am not overweight at all, not even a little. Go ahead, ask my doctor. I'm healthy and of good weight, not too light, not too heavy. And I'm not a very athletic person, either. I try to excersise when I can, but I don't do it alot. But cripes, I take a one-hour horseback riding lesson every weekend, and trust me, riding a horse gives you a week's worth of excersise.

I am also addicted to soda. I drink a LOT of soda. If I go for more than a day without soda, I get a killer craving for it. But I also drink just as much water, so my excessive soda intake doesn't bother me. It's not effecting me now and it never has, so I don't worry about it...

Shool administrators took the pop macines out of my highshool because they said pop was contributing to the obesity problem. It is mostly shugar

And they think that's gonna help? It's not like school is the only place we get soda. I don't care if it's mostly sugar or not, I really don't think banning soda in school is going to solve anything. Kids and teens don't get obese on soda. It's junk food. I have nothing against junk food. Like I said, I eat it alot, but I also eat just as much healthy food as, if not more than, I do junk food. Just like soda. Like I said, I drink soda a whole lot. But then again I also drink water a whole lot. So my junk food/healthy food and soda/water intakes are balanced and I'm a very healthy person. I'm not overweight at all. What kids and teens (AND the school board) need to understand is that soda and junk food are OK, just as long as they also drink and eat healthy stuff as well.

Banning soda may help reduce cavities, but it's not going to solve obesity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 06 2004,1:13)]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:O  
mad.gif

I am soooooooo sick of this diet crap. There is something wrong when people are too lazy to diet so they look for a diet that accomodate them.
A DIET IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ACCOMODATING!!!!!
You were eating unhealthy and exercise and EATING RIGHT are the punishment. Why does it seem that everyone is looking for a "Fountain of Thinness"
Eating right and exercise are the way to lose weight, not gimmicks and magic.

Joe
Joe has it right. Eat more healthy foods, such as fres fruits, fresh veggies, whole grains, lean meats, low fat dairy. The other half of the equation is consistent exercise - like walking a brisk pace for a half hour a day and or swimming.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ July 05 2004,10:42)]Didn't Dr. Atkins die of heart failure?
He was obese, he slipped on ice and died.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 09 2004,9:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 06 2004,1:13)]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:O  
mad.gif

I am soooooooo sick of this diet crap. There is something wrong when people are too lazy to diet so they look for a diet that accomodate them.
A DIET IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ACCOMODATING!!!!!
You were eating unhealthy and exercise and EATING RIGHT are the punishment. Why does it seem that everyone is looking for a "Fountain of Thinness"
Eating right and exercise are the way to lose weight, not gimmicks and magic.

Joe
Joe has it right. Eat more healthy foods, such as fres fruits, fresh veggies, whole grains, lean meats, low fat dairy. The other half of the equation is consistent exercise - like walking a brisk pace for a half hour a day and or swimming.
Im on the weight watchers diet. Dont say its rubbish, I am overweight and I have lost 1 stone 6 pounds on it. I used to be 11 stone 13 1/2 punds, I am now 10 stone 8 pounds.
I have tried healthy eating, but I didnt loose any weight.
My life has been so much better since going on the weight watchers diet.

..stone??

Dont you know what a stone is? Do you now what a kilogram is?

Yeah..

Well, one pound is half a kilo, in one stone there are 14 pounds.

Ah.

Back