What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I saved them

I just saved a drosera rotundifolia and a pinguicula lutea from Home Depot and now I don't know what to do. Basically I'm wondering if I should replant them. I'm afraid the'll get root rot because it looks like they're growing in moss with chunks of pine tree in it. There's also what looks like grass growing in there and mold and all sorts of crap. Does any one think they need to be repotted or should I leave them alone? Thanks for all your patience with the newy, Shauntell
biggrin.gif

Hey Shauntell i'm betting they were from Gubler's nursuries eh? Bunch of cps sitting in a cardboard box with no water..=(
I purchased a cobra lilly from Home Depot about 4 weeks ago, and ya it has the moss on top ( I think it might be long fibered spagnum), and their doing perfectly fine at the moment. They've been through alot of shock the last few days probably, transplanting them in my opinion would add even more shock to em. Why not just give them some good light and high humidity to get some perk back in their leaves for a week or 2.

Replant... put them where they need to be. A little (or a lot of) shock now will be better than the result of unacceptable conditions later. Put them where they need to be.

I agree with Dyflam.  It sounds like they have a lot of trash (grass growing in there and mold and all sorts of crap) in with them.  Repot in the proper soil mix and be as gentle with them as possible when transplanting.  I think they will be happier and healthier and adapt to their new home much quicker if they are in the proper soil mix.

Shauntell,repotting is fine. I would would put the plants in large, clear, freezer bags too keep the humidity high. I would also keep them out of direct sun light. I got some bare rooted stock a couple of weeks ago and did this and there doing fine, yours sould to
smile.gif
.Jack

You can probably repot it...

OR

Give it a good spray with Benomyl, let it sit for a month (a month is idealy a good amount of time to recover from shock), then repot it...

Hey Jadubya youre right they were from gublers. I can't believe they would send them to home depot without proper care instructions. The other ones that they had were in a really bad place. Completed uprooted and rotting. If I had a greener thumb I would've gotten them too. I think I'm going to go with everyone's advice and give them another week to recover and then repot them. Until then I'm gonna put them in bags. Thanks everyone. I don't know what I would do if I'd never dicovered this site. Where can I get that benawathchamacallit stuff for mold and fungus? Thanks again.

if you are very concern witha any repotting, you can protect the roots by repotting it with a small clump of the orginally soil around the roots.

if you are very concern witha any repotting, you can protect the roots by repotting it with a small clump of the orginally soil around the roots.

Back