What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need to vent about school and

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
School....They have you by the b***s. Without it you can't get a good job. While your there you get leached for all your money. You are required to take a load of BS classes in order to get your degree. Books change about as often as some folks change their shorts taking even more money. They charge you extra money that some financial aid doesn't cover and then take that money out of your book money. Required to spend 20 bucks for a parking decal
mad.gif
and then you still have to stalk someone for a parking spot. It makes no sence. They charge you literaly and arm and a leg. Teachers making 50k+ to teach 2 classes. And then they are building all new buildings and yet there is no parking for students. Then you have D***Head teachers that have crazy rules that if you miss more than 2 days in class then your required to do this god awful assignment that is worth 25 % of your grade. Oh did I mention that 2 tardys = 1 absnece. Since parking is scarce at best unless you want to be across campus. (What I;m going to start doing) and still risk not finding a spot. I now have 2 tardys so one absnce in this class. No slack given because of the lack of parking. I have even shown up to school an hour early and not been able to get a spot until 10 min before class. Thats ok though I found a spot no one like to park because it is across campus. Oh also need to mention this class is micro economics and the teacher teaches it likeone already has had some economics. Sorry folks I just had to vent a little. Also on the day I wrecked my car I was on the way to a class that if your late you get locked out, or so he says. So another reason for the frantic parking spot hunt that lead to the colission that left my car a wrecked reminder of its former self. Luckily it was only a 5 mph collision so the dammage is all cosmetic. I see again why people like SUVs. The only damage done to his rodeo was I scuffed the bumper and bent his tag. My car on the other hand is a sable and my front end went under his bumper cracked both headlights, crumpled the hood, ruined the bumper and gril area and broke some suports under that. ARGGGHHHHH THIS HAS NOT BEEN MY WEEK!!!

I feel for you Josh!

Jerry

My first suggestion is to get a bike and buy beer with the saved gas money. Be moderate.

Professors are like capricious Gods, by some means you must divine what it is they want to get on the good side. Might not be good dgrades either! My taxonomy Prof. wanted his wood cut for winter. We cut. (Aced that one). Sometimes grades may reflect the depth of learning you have achieved, but not always. If there is sodmething a Prof wants that you can give, give. Occasionally, Professors exhibit a streak of humanity and understanding if they feel you are an ernest student, so be ernest. Showing up during their office hours with "I just had to compliment you on your lecture Tuedsay" along with a well placed question you know they can answer = ernest. So there is hope!

The book thing is a real pain and a good indication that whatever you learn is going to be outmoded by graduation day. Better learn to moo. It astounds me though with such regular leaps in new understanding we don't have all the questions answered by now.

The stresses of school are intense. Venting is good. Girls are bad, lol. Monks make good students.

All this sure takes me back. May Prof. have mercy on your soul.

ROTFLMAO

Well I would be riding a bike if I didn't live 15 miles from work and school. I could use the exercise. Well I need to wait on the insurance oppraser to come and look at the car, but I think it may be totaled. And not much damage was done either. Oh well as the say s**t happens. Thanks everyone.

I'm sorry to hear about all that. That really sucks. How about buying a bike...driving in pretty close to school...parking and riding the bike the rest of the way. Sounds like it would save you a lot of time...and no more parking lot accidents.

Accidents suck...insurance hassles, rental cars and money.
smile_h_32.gif

How about a motorcycle? I am getting ready to buy one myself because I am getting real tired of the gridlock on the freeways and the lack of parking spaces ANYWHERE in San Diego, and the high gas prices. I stopped riding 10 years ago due to an accident but the itch to ride is coming back real strong. The Harley Davidson Sportsters out now are really nice and good on gas, and I''d be styling going down the road. Yeah I like Harleys, nuthin compares with Harley.

I have thought about a Motorcycle, but can't afford to get one of those either. Wife and I are sinking out money into IVF and thats an arm and a leg. Parking off campus and riging a bike the rest of the way sounds like a good idea. If it gets a little worse I just might do that. There is an out of the way accross campus parking lot that sometimes has open spot that I just found out about. I have parked there the last few days at school. Although if the rumor about them closing 2 lots that may not be an option either. I duno we will see. I just found out today that the car might be totaled. I will know for sure after mon when the inssurance apprasor(sp) comes out and does his assesment. I don't want to total it its a nice car and almost paid for.
mad.gif
I can't dwell on it just make me angry again. Thanks for everyone concern.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 08 2005,7:42)]School....They have you by the b***s.  Without it you can't get a good job.  While your there you get leached for all your money.  You are required to take a load of BS classes in order to get your degree.  Books change about as often as some folks change their shorts taking even more money.  They charge you extra money that some financial aid doesn't cover and then take that money out of your book money.  Required to spend 20 bucks for a parking decal
mad.gif
and then you still have to stalk someone for a parking spot.  It makes no sence.  They charge you literaly and arm and a leg.  Teachers making 50k+ to teach 2 classes.  And then they are building all new buildings and yet there is no parking for students.  Then you have D***Head teachers that have crazy rules that if you miss more than 2 days in class then your required to do this god awful assignment that is worth 25 % of your grade.  Oh did I mention that 2 tardys = 1 absnece.  Since parking is scarce at best unless you want to be across campus.  (What I;m going to start doing) and still risk not finding a spot. I now have 2 tardys so one absnce in this class.  No slack given because of the lack of parking.  I have even shown up to school an hour early and not been able to get a spot until 10 min before class.  Thats ok though I found a spot no one like to park because it is across campus.  Oh also need to mention this class is micro economics and the teacher teaches it likeone already has had some economics.  Sorry folks I just had to vent a little.  Also on the day I wrecked my car I was on the way to a class that if your late you get locked out, or so he says.  So another reason for the frantic parking spot hunt that lead to the colission that left my car a wrecked reminder of its former self.  Luckily it was only a 5 mph collision so the dammage is all cosmetic.  I see again why people like SUVs.  The only damage done to his rodeo was I scuffed the bumper and bent his tag.  My car on the other hand is a sable and my front end went under his bumper cracked both headlights, crumpled the hood, ruined the bumper and gril area and broke some suports under that.  ARGGGHHHHH  THIS HAS NOT BEEN MY WEEK!!!
You wouldn't happen to go to Ohio State would you? Oh my god the parking situation is attrocious here. There is some conspiracy going on because we already don't have enough parking spaces so what do they do? They tear up 3 parking lots to install buildings! But yeah I sympathize with you... which is why this year I bought a bike.

The keys for college are to minimize possessions and to live as close to campus as possible. That's easiest directly out of high school because a person's already used to not having anything and being squeezed into a tiny space.

Well, the dorms for Augusta state are not even on campus. The school is in a cramped location in town. I have already been to tech school and got a diploma and I am going back not to get a BSN. I own a house and work for a living the last thing I need to worry about is finding a parking spot to attend classes to better my life. I like my job, but it doens't pay enough money and the sad thing is schools know that if you don't come to them then your not going to make good money. This is for the most part and not an absolute. I know many folks owning businesses that never went to college, but thats besides the point. These school know they have you by the cohoneys. You have to come to them so there is no incentive to curve the spending or lower tuition. Especialy when they have finacial aid paying for tuition. DOn't get me wrong I use finacial aid myself I can't afford school. Yes they add fees that are not covered by the aid I ge so it comes out of my book money. Then I have to pay even more money out of pocket for the books I need. Not to mention I still can't find a place to park and I live to far to ride a bike. I live in Grovetown and thats the next city over from Augusta. ITs not that far but its atleast 15 miles. The ride to school I dont think would be that bad because its mostly down hill, but the ride home would takeme hours. I don't have that time because I still work and have to take care of a house. To those that are still in highschool Go for what you want NOW while you have it easy. I should have listened to my motehr I would have been a nurse already and this wouldnt be as bad of an issue. I sure wish I knew something I could do to get this dumbarse school to supply adiquatte parking for its students. The advice teachers give to students to get there an hour early only componts the problem. Because the person I hit was getting there an hour early to get a parking spot. So thereticly if he wasnt there an hour early then I wouldnt have rear ended him. Thats my opinion. Anyways. I know its my fault, but I do believe there is underlying factore that are contributed by the school that aided in the accident. Any who/ Thanks everyone.

I went back to school in my mid 30s, mostly because I like learning and my job had evolved into something that I did for a paycheck and nothing else.  I spent most of my 20's in or near various colleges and think it might be my natural habitat.  So I wanted the stimulation more than anything.

College life in the late 90's was an eye opener because so many people are in Josh's situation and those of us who had the opportunity and/or interest to go straight to college out of high school years ago never realized how easy we had it.  Actually, I had it much easier in 1979 than a lot of those I see arriving straight out of high school now because so many are arriving with cars and cell phones and credit card bills.  And husbands or wives or too serious relationships for such a young age.

At the same age when I could immerse myself in school and fun and low paying, but interesting on-campus jobs, these students are struggling to keep complicated and costly lives going.  It's no way to live or learn.  It's obvious Josh has the drive to succeed but I don't know that I could have finished school if I had so many other obligations.

Back