What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a easy boo

I know someone who as asked to collect plants from the wild be PP... I will not say who, but if memory serves, it made the rounds here in PM's a long time ago, back in the beginning of the forums... you would have to be a real old timer to remember. The way I see it, why give money to them, when you can give it to someone who actually cares about these plants.

Savage Garden is the only bible you need for this hobby. It will entrench you in the basics, everything else, you can learn here.

The Savage Garden is the best book for just about anyone (the know-it-alls here would like the pics, and the newer people would benefit from the knowledge contained inside). It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

That is part of what I remembered Laura, but not all of it. Suffice it to say that page was last updated in 2002, and the wild collection request occured after 2002.

I personally know somebody that has told me that PP offered them money if they would collect some plants for them.

Gardening with Carnivores by Nick Romanowski is a nice little book on bog gardens. It primarily deals with Sarracenia in cultivation and in the wild. Lots of nice pictures and information on the various Sarracenia species and some hybrids.

Charles Clarke has some great Nepenthes books. Not cheap but fantastic. He also has some pocket guides and other booklet types which are much more affordable but only give a brief overview of different species from specific regions. All are also loaded with top notch photos.
Tony

The Gardening With Carnivores: Sarracenia Pitcher Plants in Cultivation & in the Wild by Nick Romanowski looked really nice for me. Thanks for mentioning that.

Regarding nice little soggy gardening books, if anyone is interested they might want to consider these-
*The Book Of Swamp and Bog by John Eastman
*Brooklyn Botanic Garden, The Natural Water Garden which covers ponds, marshes, & bogs for backyards everywhere
*Wisconsin's Natural Communities by Randy Hoffman which would be of greater value to those of us who are in the WI, IL, and MN.
Both *Lakescaping for WildLife and Water Quality as well as *Landscaping for Wildlife are published by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and I derive substantial benefits from having these two publications around.  

Right now my online Torah and Talmud is
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/
Gosh how I get lost over there for hours every time I go and visit.

Hi RamPuppy, I ordered my very first CP in the fall of 2003. Guess who one of the first people I contacted was...
I did not place my order because he didn't have what I wanted at that time but would in a few weeks. Catch the "would in a few weeks".  That totally went over my head at that time and I am generally considerably more astute than that. My Native Plant buddies nixed that deal when I started sharing the names of the places I would be ordering CPs from and his popped into the conversation. I will not order zip nadda nothing from him and my son may not have his book. It may be a well written contribution to the CP community, but that's not what we're all about over here. I work too hard removing exotic invasive species from my property and planting back natives and by gosh by golly I have found more than enough nurseries that will sell CPs to me that have reputations above reproach. I also will not order from Allen Lowrie. I've read too much about his little expeditions and am uncomfortable with them. Native plant communities, regardless of whether they are on public of private land, should not be harvested for the purpose of sale. Anyone who does this is morally bankrupt.  Just my humble opinion.

I get to get the gardening With Carnivores book for my birthdya and then I can print stuff from web sites so this is enough for me. thank you very much for ideas.

Back