What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I may lose half my CP collection

Is attempted murder on your collection of temperate carnivores an valid reason to kill a person?
So I just went outside to inspect a Sarr that I bought less than a week ago when I found a strange little pile of perlite in one corner of the pot. I touched it and it turns out it wasn't perlite at all, but fertilizer. I checked my two other outside pots as well and it was there too. I'm suspecting that my land lord wanted to be 'nice' and help me out so he put fertilizer in all my plants. (some are just normal garden flowers so those are okay) I'm not sure exactly how long it has been there. I've only had the new Sarr for 5 days, but the other two has been outside since February. My landlord fertilized the lawn 2-3 weeks ago so that is probably when he fertilized them. It's the kind of fertilizer that looks like gravel or perlite and dissolves when it gets wet. It has rained a lot here lately, so scooping it out was pretty much impossible. I got some, but most of it just mixed with the soil.
I have just finished re-potting all three plants, removing all the soil around the roots in a bowl of water, rinsing them off under running water, rinsed the pots and trays and re-potting them in fresh soil. I use a coir/perlite mix which is pretty much the only thing I have available. I then watered them thoroughly and they are currently outside in cloudy weather in ca 15 degrees Celsius. I have no experience with this kind of situation and I'm really afraid of losing my plants. (which are pretty much impossible to get here. The two Sarrs I have are the only ones I have come across in my 5 years of growing.)

So if anyone out there has any tips or advice on what I should do I would greatly appreciate it. I am of course going to talk to my land lord about it, but I think I will wait until my burning fury fades a bit. Please help me!

If the plants haven't shown any signs of stress yet and you repotted into fresh soil, they'll be fine. Sarracenia (and pitcher plants in general really) can actually handle a decent amount of nutrients in the soil, though it's not recommended as it can increase the chances of rhizome rot over the winter and cause less impressive pitchers to develop.

Considering your land lord, as you said, was probably just trying to be helpful, chalk this up to an "oops" along the lines of having had a small child pull up your prized flowers because they wanted to gift you with a bouquet or having had a puppy/kitten knock over a favorite potted plant. Stuff happens. Particularly when it wasn't committed with malicious intent, take the mature road and toss the anger aside. (Easier said than done sometimes, true.)

Talking to your landlord would be wise. You might also consider putting up a sign in such plants which indicates "no fertilizers or pesticides/herbicides ".

Depending upon where you live, sarrs may be easier to acquire than you realize.

Last edited:
Back