What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love my job.

• Thread starter Understudy
  • Start date
What? It's efficient, get over it.

Our studies have found that the move we can enclose employees and make them feel claustrophobic, impeded upon, and generally uncomfortable, the more outragous tasks we can easily coerce them them in to undertaking in the the name of the company.

Do not resist the company.

Catbert; Chapter 7, verse 9.

PS If you're really interested in filtering the gene pool, PM me. I may have some tools that may interest you. *shifty eyes*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ( Understudy's web site @ April 30 2006 00:00)]I can count on one hand the number of architects and engineers on one hand I respect.
LOL that is really funny. May want to edit your page though
smile_m_32.gif

When I worked customer service for Whirlpool/Kitchenaid/Roper the dumbest people calling in for support were those you mention... If they can design it, Why can't they figure out "remove that screw and it comes off"
confused.gif
?

I feel your pain. I have to put up with how "smart" they are with on my job too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I feel your pain. I have to put up with how "smart" they are with on my job too.
Me too! I am a machinist in the aerospace industry and sometimes I wonder what these so called engineers are thinking. They should have to take mandatory machine shop classes before being allowed to be an engineer. Thet don't seem to have a clue how parts are made or how things go together
confused.gif
mad.gif
And the engineers at Mr. Coffee are the worst. I have never seen a Mr. coffee coffeemaker that has a properly designed pot. You would think they never poured a cup of coffee out of one of their own products
mad.gif

My father, a retired mechanical engineer, has the same opinion of modern engineers.  At one time engineering schools were full of students who went there because they grew up working on cars or building stuff, whether out of wood or transistors or whatever.  Now engineering schools are "selective" and want students who have A's in math and high scores on #2 pencil tests.  I originally went to Georgia Tech and some of the professors talked about how students used to spend hours in a machine shop every week.  But they eliminated that to give them more classroom time.  Sad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ April 30 2006,9:43)]http://www.understudy.net/archives/00000094.html
I really do have a great job, I love doing it. Sometimes however I have to swim through a cess pool of stupidity.
Well, that support column in the cube it not the fault of any architect or engineer.

If anybody is asleep at the wheel, it is the building's floor manager who decided to put the cubicle there; the cube could even have been configured slightly differently so that the support column wouldn't be in the way.

There is a support column in the corner of my cube, but it is not remotely in the way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ May 01 2006,7:33)]My father, a retired mechanical engineer, has the same opinion of modern engineers.  At one time engineering schools were full of students who went there because they grew up working on cars or building stuff, whether out of wood or transistors or whatever.  Now engineering schools are "selective" and want students who have A's in math and high scores on #2 pencil tests.  I originally went to Georgia Tech and some of the professors talked about how students used to spend hours in a machine shop every week.  But they eliminated that to give them more classroom time.  Sad.
When I was a grad student, I taught undergrads physics. Mostly, it was the non-calculus-based version for pre-meds and biology students, but sometimes I taught the calc-based version for engineers, too.

When I was an undergrad, my physics classes were blood & guts. They were calculus-based from the ground up. You used calculus in the homework, and on the exams; often, I was learning my math in physics, before i saw it in the accompanying calculus class.

When I was a grad student, the calculus-based engineering physics classes SOMETIMES showed a little calculus in derevations in lecture. Rarely, homework problems included some calculus. But if the prof put a claculus-based problem on the exam, all hell broke loose. The students couldn't handle it.

Not only that, both the intro physics classes for engineers and premeds were packed with students who had no number sense. They couldn't add 2 two-digit numbers in their heads without reaching for their calculators. They'd solve a projectile motion problem in which a cannonball had a velocity of 150 ft/sec, and come up with a speed greater than that of light for the horizontal component of velocity.

They simply lacked any creativity or critical thinking skills, and they were more concerned with helping their frat brothers prepare for a big party than making sure they were prepared for my quiz. I grew to love failing them. I'd give them Fs with smiley faces.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 02 2006,2:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ April 30 2006,9:43)]http://www.understudy.net/archives/00000094.html
I really do have a great job, I love doing it. Sometimes however I have to swim through a cess pool of stupidity.
Well, that support column in the cube it not the fault of any architect or engineer.

If anybody is asleep at the wheel, it is the building's floor manager who decided to put the cubicle there; the cube could even have been configured slightly differently so that the support column wouldn't be in the way.

There is a support column in the corner of my cube, but it is not remotely in the way.
The building floor manager didn't draw the plans.
The engineer who designed the new cubicles drew the plans.
The worst part was the column was prexisting. The design plans included removing the old cubicles and then installing the new cubicles.
The plans had the column on them they just showed the column as a 4" column also the design done by the owner was different and took into account the 12" column. The problem was the engineer completly disreguarded the plans submitted by the owner and drew his own.

Thus the engineer is in this case an idiot. And this is one case in many that is typical of what I deal with on a day to day basis.

Back