What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I keep repeating myself, suggestions to help one keep from repeating themselves.

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Weird and abstract question.

In the past few months I have noticed that I have picked up an annoying tendency. In almost everything I write from papers to posts I have noticed that there are redundant and repeating phrases, each worded slightly differently. Often I do not catch these because they sound right in my head. But if I go back to read something after-the fact, I see glaring repetition. I am fairly certain this is a new thing for me, but I cannot seem to stop :crazy:

I try to proofread but I never catch all of them. It is frustrating! After I write something, all the repetitions sound right. (<<< I Just caught this one on the preview) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop? My reports are suffering.

Last edited:
thats why on important stuff, get someone else to proofread....i do the same thing.....and i rarely catch it unless i go back and read it the next day

Why not bullet your points then turn them into sentences, thats how I stopped myself from doing it on reports.

I know it happens sometimes, but for some reason it is distressingly frequent. I dunno, perhaps it is just because my writing and augment skills have atrophied considerably this year.

Why not bullet your points then turn them into sentences, thats how I stopped myself from doing it on reports.

Thats a good idea, I will try that, thanks.

Read a lot. That's the best way to get your writing skills up, in my experience. Especially narratives, since they tend to have vivid descriptions that give you new words so you never have to repeat the old ones. Try to get a clear idea of the points you're trying to make in your head. When you're done with one, consciously note that you're moving on to the next point. I have tried this many times, and every time I have tried this it has stopped me many times from repeating myself repititiously. I hope this helps and think it will be helpful to you.
P.S. Thanks for asking this question, because you inspired a poem! Thanks for asking the question and helping me get inspiration for a poem so I can fill up the 5 pages of poetry I have to write every week...

Last edited:
Try reading anything you do out loud to yourself or someone else. Even better if you can get someone to read it to you and you will find most of the problems in your writing not just repetition.

True, both proofreading and reading helps a lot.
I would find the bullet method not very effective. Maybe it is for short works, but with 10+ page papers it is way too much work.
Proofreading and extended vocabulary is what really helps.

Just write a basic outline. Try to get the idea per paragraph written down then expand on them. If you have to reuse facts or statements from one paragraph in another, rethink that idea, and either take it in another direction, or scrap/compile(with the other paragraph) it.

Vocabulary does indeed help. It drives me insane to reuse an adjective twice in a paragraph. It's just insane.

AAAAAAUUUUUUGHHHH!!! I did it.

XKCD did a comic that is related. Shows the value of reading your statements. ;)

Well... it's kinda related anyway. And actually, youtube now has an option to hear your comment read back to you before you post.

Back