What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have another story to tell

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
normally I'd say not to shoot them, but if it's a bigfoot then it's worth it :p
... wouldn't that be HOMOscide though? since it's probably in the homo genus?

I seems kinda shady to shoot something because it attacked you AFTER it gave you fair warning and you kept nosing around. I hope no one here plans to let anything go that far.

well your just a buzz kill
smile_n_32.gif

i *THINK* alot of this has just been Ozzy and i fooling around, however if you must know i do generally pack a gun when out walking and it is usually the 45/70 i mentioned as it is only about 7.5 pounds and my favorite rifle though i have a 223 that may take its place for the most part in this role. i pack a gun because cougars are getting more common im my area, rabies isnt uncommon here and you can run into coyotes and feral dogs that dont take kindly to your presence even if you give them space(with coyotes this almost only happens when rabies is involved) and i am out to keep the varmit populations in bounds. i shoot "problem" animals for my uncles which generally are ground squirrels which im not making much of a dent in the population but im getting most that are digging holes around and destroying the roads. and problem badgers, the ones putting their 3 foot holes in bad spots such as near roads ad in some areas where cattle and horses are kept, most badgers who make there homes far out in the pastures are left alone. plus i shoot the odd 'yote but most know what a gun is and you cant get close without camo and calls. and i take on the occational fox when they are getting thick in an area and causing problems on the game bird populations in the spring when they are hunting down alot of the chicks.

I hjave to disagree with you Rattler, I just want to shoot something.
smile.gif

Maybe enlist in the army?  It heightens the thrill of shooting something because the something might shoot first.  And there are probably plenty of people there who would trade places for the opportunity to search out the source of that sound without any desire for shooting it.

like that army guy who said shooting them was "a hoot"
actually here's the whole quote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, it's quite a lot of fun to fight; you know, it's a hell of a hoot. I like brawling; it's fun to shoot some people.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the context of Afghanistan, he said men who slapped around women for not wearing a veil had no manhood and it was fun to shoot them.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4234751.stm

It's a joke, I don't enjoy shooting things.

Prefer a .54 caliber for big stuff, .44 magnum for my side arm, and a Weatherby Mk5 (.308) for the rest. I can punch lights at a great distance with good accuracy. For close up, 12 gauge shotgun. Makes a big mess.

.54? you a muzzelloader nut? smoke poles are fun. a friend of mines grandfather is a real gun nut. we went bird hunting wih him one day. he had a muzzel loading shotgun and we had pump action 12 gauges. he had his limit well before us. great guy.

Bruce, move out to the boonys, dont need to inlist in the army to get shot at......plenty of areas around here where that can happen.

Ozzy, check you state regs and see what your wild boar hunting regs are, you probably dont need a licence at all and a small wild pig will beat domestic pork in taste hands down any day. a 45 slug between the eyes and its BBQ time

My chances of getting shot are much higher here than any boonies I've ever been in.  The combination of poverty and guns is pretty deadly.  But even the craziest, most violent US neighborhood is an island of calm in comparison with what our soldiers are up against.

Sorry - I reacted because I had a couple friends in high school who couldn't pass by any living thing without shooting it.  They weren't weird or violent otherwise, but would shoot songbirds and anything else that came by.  One went out of his way to shoot roaming cats and said it was because they kill songbirds.  He must have resented the competition.  But I shot some animals just for the sake of shooting them too and it's what I have more shame about than anything else I've ever done.

Back