What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have 2 different fluorescent tubes

hello. i am thinking of purchaseing some new lights for my plants, but i dont know which to decide on. one is for plants and the other is to simulate the sun. i dont know which one to use, but i have been useing 6 of the plant ones for a while. can anyone tell me which one would be better to replace it with?

Philips plant and aquarium
Light output 600 lumens
energy used 20 watts
color temperature 2700k
this is the one i have been useing for quite a while. it has a yellowish kind of light, but acording to the pinned lighting article, 2700k isn't enough.

Philips natural color
light output 850 lumens
energy used 20 watts
color rendering 92
color temperature 5000k
this is the new one im considering. it has a higher lumen output, is cheaper and supposively simulates the sun. i have seen it at the stores and it has a blueish color, which is probably not good, but it has a color temperature of 5000k so im not sure whats going on. does the color rendering have something to do with it?

thanks for the help. Zongyi

go for the second one. i think "plant and aquarium" bulbs are just a gimmick to get you to buy that product. i use 5000K bulbs and my plants are great.

Deffinately the second one.
More lumens and more useable light in the correct wave length for the plants for the same amount of energy used!

T

thanks for the help guys. the reason i was concerned is that the second one is so much bluer than the first. Zongyi

Back