What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got some Gibba

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
I got some Utricularia Gibba (with pics)

Ever wanted to try your hand at Utricularia Gibba? I've decided to make some more room for my aldrovandas...

Will trade for any Pings, VFT cultivars, sundew species/varieties, or other Utrics I don't have. Here's some pics:

Nice shot of the bladders -
GibbaandCattailedited.jpg

Nice shot of part of the colony -
Gibbaside1edited.jpg

Ok, so not lookin for anything fancy, just pm me an offer. ;)

Thanks

I have some growing outside, in a plastic container. They are not thriving. What are your growing conditions?

I grow them in a 10 gallon tank with some aldrovanda. In the bottom is compost, clay/dirt from around my house, dead leaves, dead weeds, dwarf cattails, sand, pond scum, lots of peat and LFS. Basically anything organic I could find, went there. I really owe its success it to all the Daphnia, worms, and snails that came with the pond scum. No quite full sun, cause here in Oregon it gets pretty hot and dry bout this time of year. I've introduced it to my pond. :) Gold fish don't eat it.

What kind of lighting do you use and how long?

No lighting, the tank is positioned in a shady corner of my deck, outside.
So I'd say like from 7:00 am to 8:30 pm it's light. Thirteen and a half hours of light.

Mine is on the south side, so it gets a lot of direct sunlight. Could that actually be a problem?

I'm no expert at all, but from what I've seen:

Indoors East window sill (mediocre light) - Poor growth

Tank Outdoors North East / East (loads of light) - Excellent growth

Outdoors Sunny pond (most light) - Slow or no growth

Makes no sense does it? :scratch:
I believe the growth rate is better detemined by the amount of prey it catches. The folks
who gave me it (Peter D'amato's employees in California) said "won't grow unless it has food". My tank with the best growth is loaded with pond scum. My pond is not cause it is newly made and has no scum. The indoors plant has very little scum. You do have pond scum in with your U. Gibba right?

It has been my experience that bright shade is better than direct light. I moved a large bowl of U. gibba out onto a table with my pitcher plants in full sun once. It became bleached out and started dying away within a week. I moved it back onto my porch to the shade and it came right back. All the containers in the shade that have U. gibba in them do the best for me.

Shade also helps reduce algae growth. A thick mat of pine needles on the bottom of the container seems to help with that too.

No pond scum, per se, but it gets creek water. There are also moequito larvae in the water. Perhaps a little less light.

Creek water doesn't have as many things living in it. I suggest that you find pond scum. :)

Back