What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!

A few questions...

It is in a plastic see thru pot, I want to repot because it looks nasty... I should wait till after the flowers die, right? What do I repot it into? What kind of medium?

Fertilizer... Do I have to use orchid fertilizer, or can I just live? How long can i go without it? I dont wanna splurge TOO much on this pay...

Roots... There are dangly fat things coming out the top of the pot... Are these roots? Are they supposed to be out?

It is beside a venus flytrap, a few sarrs, and two nepenthes, it should be OK, condition-wise, right?

I think those are all the questions... I'll try to get a pic, but it will be a while, guarenteed... TTYL, and thanks for answers!!! I'm so excited now!!!

Welcome to the International Society of Orchid Loonies!
biggrin.gif

See thru plastic pots are used so that you can keep track of root growth and see how much moisture is in the pot.  They are usually considered a Good Thing.  But, if you want to re-pot: definitely wait until the flowers fade and the flower spike dies.  You should start seeing the tips of new roots emerging from the stalk - that's the best time to re-pot (be careful of the root tips - they're fragile).  Phals need a airy mixture with some moisture retention, so bark chips with a small amount of dry sphagnum is a common medium.  There are lots of others, of course.  The key is that the roots should just dry out between waterings - you'll know because they regain the silvery sheen.  (Those silvery-green things are roots and aerial roots are perfectly normal.)  You should match the medium to your watering schedule.  Use quick drying medium if you're going to water several times a week and a water-retentive medium if you're going to water less frequently.

As far as fertilizer, if your mixture is mainly bark, then you want to use high-nitrogen fertilizer, like 30-10-10 (as bark decomposes, it absorbes nitrogen, so high nitrogen fertilizer evens things out).  If you use another mix, like pure sphagnum (I don't recommend it - it's hard to keep the correct wetness/dryness ratio) or a peat-based mix, then you want to use a balanced fertilizer, like 10-10-10.  Don't fertilize at all for 3 or 4 weeks after you re-pot as the roots need to re-grow and the fertilizer can burn them.

Normally, you want to fertilize at half strength every three or four waterings, more often when the plant is in active growth, less when it's not.

As far as your growing conditions, Phals are considered medium to low light orchids, maybe 1200 to 1500 foot-candles.  They like moderate humidity and household temperatures.  All of which makes them ideal kitchen windowsill plants.

Good luck and enjoy it.
smile.gif

The pot does not have holes in the side, this is still good?

I really do want to repot because it looks sooo messy. I'm sure that it is fine, but the plant is off center, there is green (algea stains) on the inside, crumbling medium coming out the top... I dunno, it dont like it, the plant is gonna fall off the edge of the pot soon if it grows fast. I'll use the same pot... So, bark and dry LFS? How do I water it exactly? Do i need rain or distilled like CPs?

Thank you by the way for all that information!!!

Okay, okay, re-pot it
smile.gif
 Just wait until the blooming's over.

If you're going to use the same pot, you're probably not going to be able to center the plant - a healthy root system is going to fill the pot with thick, brittle roots.  So you'll either have to get a bigger pot or leave it off-center...

Anyway, an orchid pot doesn't have to have holes in the sides - it all has to do with air circulation.  Some of mine have side holes and some of them don't.  Just be sure there's plenty of air space in the medium.

To answer your question about watering:  Orchids need "good" water.  Rainwater is ideal.  If your tap water is soft (mine is), you should be able to use it for orchids (I do) - just let it stand for 24 hours to remove the chlorine and for it to become room temperature.

When you water, pour the water thru the medium until it runs freely out the bottom of the pot.  This helps to wash away any accumulted salts.  The water should be coming out the bottom of the pot as fast as you're pouring it in the top.

Ok, so water it over a bowl, or the sink or somthing?
Thanks...

smile.gif

Congrats on your new orchid, Parasuco! I water my orchids in my sink (although now they are outside). I use the sprayer so the leaves get a nice rinsing and the water runs out down the sink. (Except for the phrag which prefers distilled water). I know some people that submerge their orchids into a bucket of water and leave them there for a while, then take out and drain.

Your phal should do fine.
smile.gif

Suzanne

WAIT, I think I got the genus wrong... Maybe... Its the common kind with lots of flowers, not with the pouch...

Teach me Genus names, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBSS!!!

It is propably a Phalaenopsis, Phal. Paphiopedilum's, Paph, are the ones with the "pouches"  Both have the wide strap like leaves, but the Paphs roots usally don't come out of the pot like the Paph's. I have only seen the Paph's for sale at speciality garden centers and orchid shows. If any one is interested Marriot Orchid's in North Carliona sells the Paph's at reasonable prices. I have only purchased from him at shows and at his nursery so I can't comment on ordering from him by mail.

Also, Paph roots are hairy and brown while Phal roots are smooth and silvery-green.

I got another today. I was at a garden center (If i ever use the term garden center, its a garden center, not a cheap *** roadside thing, or grocery store, i mean a good, reputable garden center), and I noticed a phal on the potting bench without blooms. I asked if I could get it for discount... It was originally thirty five dollars, but she gave it to me for five!!! There is still a flower spike, but the secret is, there are still buds forming! Heehee... I cant wait to see the colour!!! I repotted it, because it was sitting in half a pot of dried sphagnum, there wasnt enough there, u know? I bought some fertilizer, and i gave it to both of my orchids... The leaves are a BIT yellowy, but i'm sure that they'll come back after some nursing... even if they dont, i'm sure I can keep it alive... they are specialty plants .'. i will do well with them, funny...

You can often get a deal on out-of-bloom orchids. Orchids tend to sell best in a shop when they are nice and showy with blooms. But if you don't mind waiting a bit for new blooms, thats a nice way to pick up new ones and save a little money. And like you, I've bought out-of-bloom orchids that I noticed were setting a new spike. That makes it an even better deal! Plus you have a nice surprise when they bloom and you find out what you have.
smile.gif
I've also wheedled down the price on a few orchids from Lowes that looked bad from their shoddy care, but felt like they could be revived.

I'm glad you're enjoying your orchids.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

For my first orchid, the one that is bigger... Do I cut off the arieal roots that are wrinkled, and gone all to H-E double hockey stick?

The small one (the new bargain one), has one HARD leaf, one yellowy floppy, and one in between... When do i remove, and how do i remeove the ugly floppy yellow one?

Thanks!

If the aerial roots are silvery-green, there's no reason to remove them.  If they're broken or diseased, leave as much healthy root as you can and slice them off with a sterile blade.

The yellow leaf will fall off on it's own in a week or two or three - there really isn't any reason to do anthing about it.  I suppose you can trim it if you really feel the need (don't trim too close to the stem).  You can expect the "in-between" leaf to yellow and fall off, too.  Leaves rarely recover.

If the new plant were well established, I'd say that you could probably remove the yellow leaf by hand, by gently spreading and pulling at the base.  But since the plant has already been shocked, I'd just leave it alone and let the leaves come off when they're ready.

Have fun and be patient with them  
smile.gif

Back