What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found something, and im confused

i was looking at a couple of pots of plants today at lunch, one was my Genlisea filliformis pot. in this pot are 3 or 4 seedlings from something in the D. binata complex. now i havent had a D. binata in 4 months, even than it was only one clone which should mean no seeds. the live LFS im using to grow the G. filliformis has been stuff that has been growing for most of 2 years for me and i had never found hitchhikers in it before. the Genlisea has been isolated(not on purpose) from anything new that i have recieved in the last 2 months. i have absolutly no clue as to where these lil buggers came from.

I has the same thing happen to me this past January. A tray D. binata emereged from a hanging basket of a Nepenthes. I didn't put it there! Must have been in the soil media.

yeah but like i said ive been harvesting this same pot of live LFS for 2 years and never had a single hitchhiker. if it was in the pot of a plant i had recieved in the last year i would have no problems, but this particular pot has me down right confused. how often do you see any of the binata complex seeds up for trade in the forum? they just arent that common cause you generally need 2 different clones.

Immaculate germination?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

hmmmmm hadnt thought of that, suppose it makes them worth more?
smile_n_32.gif

Congratulations you now must care for the messiah of CP's and one day when he's older he'll preach the good news to our suburbian society and we will change are habitat destroying ways.

in the name of the foliage
and of the sun
and of the holy sundew
Amen

cheers
Zac

I, too, have observed immaculate germination (particularly with D. capensis and U. subulata).

And, also, the resurrection!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

hey i can explain D. capensis seedlings everywhere, D. capensis is self fertile AND i have several of them, though no blooming size plants at home anymore, all those have gone to the shops window. D. binata seedlings are harder to explain.

Well, I think there could be some small fraction of self'ed D. binata seeds that are viable. You know, like ligers.
~Joe

D. burmannii has to rank right up there with the reproductive best CPs.
It is crowding out my D. capensis.
I am going to post some picks of this on a new thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zac @ Sep. 13 2005,6:07)]Congratulations you now must care for the messiah of CP's and one day when he's older he'll preach the good news to our suburbian society and we will change are habitat destroying ways.

in the name of the foliage
and of the sun
and of the holy sundew
Amen

cheers
Zac
Man you guys are holy...plant holy that is.
biggrin.gif

I have experienced that with many plants, including D. filiformis 'all red'. Makes sense, I got it from a cp grower. I should think most of these plant from nurseries originated from cp growers which would have been growing other cps nearby, and occasionally some seeds would fall into the pot. And as you know, seeds can stay dormant for pretty a long while.

Alright, now I'll tell you something that's weird. I just finished seeding some pots a few days ago. Then, from under the ground and along the sides of the pot emerged baby plants with D. binata, complete with 3" leaves! In a few days!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Now, let us think, from under the ground...in the context of religion, what would that mean?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
J/K, I just remembered I threw some soil that previously had D. binata growing in it. Still, the soil was bone dry for the few days I wasn't using it. Amazing eh?!

This is all pretty funny. Wish I had some immaculate germinations over here.

Something similar happened to me.....except I found a baby (half-dime sized) VFT growing at the base of one of my D.capensis.

Strange thing is.....my VFTs have flowered, but I cut the flowers off immediately and I've never tried growing VFTs from seed.

Perhaps we should resurrect the discarded concept of spontaneous generation!

I had a D. nidiformis pop up in a D. slackii pot that I had for about 8 months. Now I have hundreds of them. This one might rival D. burmanii for reproductive health.

Capslock

yah know i have a nidiformis that constantly has flowers and seed pods but i have yet to find a single nidiformis seedling outside of its pot. strange

Back