What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found a Utric!

Hey guys. I am not a Utric grower myself but I found a couple of plants in flower earlier this Fall. If anyone can identify them, I'd appreciate it. I apologize for not being able to give the exact location of these plants but they come from central Mississippi. Here are a couple of pics:

114-1445_IMG.jpg

This pic has the flower as well as a couple of traps if you can find them.

114-1448_IMG.jpg

This one is a pic of a flower on a different plant.

Sorry they're so large, but my computer is having some RAM problems and thus I can't edit them. Both photos are a little too bright and the flowers are reflecting some glare. What cannot be seen here is a speckled orange pattern on both flowers.

-D. Lybrand

If I had to guess, I would say U. gibba. But I am a long way from Mississippi, and I am not sure what species grow there.

I'll check the flowers of U. gibba real quick, although I thought they lived in wetter areas.

-D. Lybrand

gibba is very pleiomorphic. To my eye it is a gibba but it has been some time since I saw a gibba in the wild. I can check my Taylor this even ing and see if it keys out close to anything.

Utricularia are not a strong suit with me, but that looks to be U. gibba. Should be some red or red-orange coloration in the flower itself (veining, color spots or streaks). You find similar coloration in the U. machrorhiza flower too, only heavier, IMO.

Back