What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I cant stand it any more................

i really want to try my luck at highlands. i have a corner that stays cooler that i THINK may work. the temps in my house really take a fall at night. a few species have caught my eye and i guess im wondering about just how tolerant they may be. they are in no particular order:

Nepenthes ramispina
Nepenthes maxima
Nepenthes gymnamphora
Nepenthes densiflora
Nepenthes bongso

any others other than the standard ventricosa that may be a bit more adaptible?

Rattler

hello

All the plants you listed except N. densiflora I grow in my greenhouse where it get to about 95F in the day and 55F at night with about 80% humidity and they seem to love it.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

N. Sanguinea is a great plant, very adaptable. So is N. alata and N. khasiana.

You may also want to look into some hybrid...
ventricosa x khasiana (sometimes called x 'Emmarenne') is great
ventricosa x truncata
x 'Judith Finn'
x 'Ventrata'

i actually have a ventrata thats growing like a weed alongside my Rokko and ampullaria and such in my lowland setup. it seems to love it and has doubled in size in about 3 or 4 months. i really want to try the bongso. i hope to have some khasiana x Miranda seeds in another month or two if everything goes alright. thanks for the input.

Rattler

I grow all of those except gymnamphora outside here. They all seem to do well, (although I have only had bongso and densiflora for 1 week:) I second Sanguinea and add tobaica, fusca, carunculata, spathulata. Veitchii seems to like more humidity as it is not pitchering well for me. In the winter they slow down with 70 F days and 40 F nights. They seem to like the 80-90 F days and 65 F nights of summer much better.

edit: I just moved a truncata out there and hybrids with maxima do very, very well too.

im going to get a bongso from Tony and go from there. it was the one in the list i wanted most. they are predicting a early and hard winter so it prolly the only one ill be getting this year.

Rattler

I've seen N.gymnamphora, N. maxima, and N.ramispina growing in a very hot lowlang greenhouse with 70 degree night temps wit hno ill effects. The N.ramispinas where a bit on the small side, however. The Gymmnaphora was fine but a bit slow in comparison to the lowland species.

Hi Steve,

How much sunlight(hours, intensity, morning, afternoon) are you giving the outdoors Nepenthes? Also, which "easy" species of Nepenthes are you growing outdoors and how well are they pitchering? I live close to the San Gabriel Valley area and the climate you described is like the climate in my area.

I was growing them in complete bright shade on the north side of my house. I have moved them under shade cloth on the south side of my house. The larger bomb-proof ones grow on trays filled with rocks and water. The rocks keep the plants out of the water, and the water raises the humidity level slightly. I think the water helps the soil stay moist, but doesn't really do much for humidity around the plant. On the north side they were pretty sheltered from wind. The south is a little more exposed. I have been misting them in the mornings. The smaller, less bomb-proof ones grow in 10 gallon tanks on pebble trays, 6-8 plants per tank. My newest plants grow with a lid over the top of the tank with a 1" gap on each side. I have started taking the lid off at night to slowly acclimate them. Some of them get a little direct sun in the morning or the late afternoon. I also grow some of the home depot ones in hanging pots. They don't pitcher very well in the winter, but they do keep the pitchers they have. I noticed an increase in pitcher production after I neglected them and then improved their growing conditions. They don't look as nice as greenhouse plants, but they are still attractive to me. Here are some pics of my previous setup. After the moce to the south side, but before I bought a new plant rack for them.

398table1.JPG
398setup1.JPG

I also grow some in the proper sized tray without any rocks and let them sit in the water. It dries out before I water again. I try to water once a week, but sometimes I forget. These are the ones that have grown well for me the last two years.

Bomb-proof varieties:
maxima
sanguinea
tobaica
ventricosa
any hybrid with maxima

still tough but not bomb-proof:
carunculata
macfarlanei, (this may actually be burbidgeae)
ramispina
spathulata

veitchii did not pitcher when neglected. It seems to like the new pot, better light and higher humidity levels.

Very nice setup and plants srdugins!

Back