What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am thinking of building a greenhouse.

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I live in the COLD mountains of North carolina. The summer temeratures usally reach about the mid 70s F- mid 80s F. The low for the winter usually reach about 10 F. The greenhouse I am aiming for is a green house that can grow venus flytraps - high land neps. Is this possible? If not what is the minimal amount of greenhouses that need to be built or can I divide my greenhouse to meet the standards of each kind. Thank you

You can grow both together, but maybe move the VFT to the ground of the gh or near the endwalls in winter where colder temps might be. 10F is cold? Try -20 up here in winter now THAT'S cold!
wink.gif
You would most likely want to aim for a double poly plastic greenhouse with a heating system for sue from Sept-May or June and a cooling system for use form March-Oct possibly. You shouldn't need to divide it unless you plan to be precise on exact temps and humidity.
wink.gif

What are your night time temps in the summer? If it gets down in the 60 most nights you may be able to get away with not buying a A/C unit. I recommend the nice premanufactured clear plastic fold out green houses. Can't remember the exact type of plastic but they never yellow and are real easy to setup. Not to mention a fairly economic price.

Good luck
joe

Here is a site for one of several varities of pvc greenhouses. This one you can really make to any size. I got the clamps and am designing my own style. It really is pretty cheap.

Good luck. http://www.snapclamp.com/greenhouse.htm.

Personally I think it would be easier and and cheaper to build a small grow room indoors if you have the space.  Greenhouses come with their own set of problems.  Besides building a structure to withstand your local climate, you will need things like: Heating, cooling/humidifying, water source, electricity, venting, backup heating and cooling (highly recommended), shading (most likely), as well as benching and all the gizzmo's to make everything work.  The frame and covering is often the cheapest part of the set up. Check your local paper and you might even find a steel tube frame for dirt cheap or less....

Tony

Neprick, the link does not work.

There are two plant dealers that have gone out of business here. The large Green Houses are in a condition of disrepair.
I am thinking about asking one of the owns if I can take a section. Even in a small section it would be a plenty large green house for private use. I believe that the coolers and heaters are still in the buildings, but I doubt that they'll function without work put into them. I think that they would probably allow the removal of a section before long because they are going to have to pay for demolision soon.

Try this instead. It gets you to the same place as neprick's link but in the round about way.

neprick's greenhouse link

Then click on the right hand greenhouse pic at the bottom of the page.

Back