What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yippy

my dad decided to build me a terrarium for my birthday.
thing is, we're stuck on what to do.

building the outside is easy, its whats going inside that were stuck on.

we're going to have a mini waterfall, probably made of rock and wood, that allows water flow and slight humidy into the terrarium. the waterfall will go into a bottom pot/holder so that its is secluded from the soil.

in the back will be lots of wood and levels as an eye pleaser.

then multi-layers of land for the different heights and plants we are putting in.

for the plants...
so far i have decided on:
-Pinguicula primuliflora (placed mid level on ground)
-pinguicula ionantha (placed near waterfall)
-cephalotus follicularis (on ground)
-nepenthes ampullaria 'speckled' (for the background on the wood to give it height)
-nepenthes rafflesiana (on the wood for height)

that is what i have decided so far.
thinking about:
-utricularia longifolia
-utricularia calycifida

i have decided on these plants due to similar temperature requirements, and that they dont require dormancy, since i cant provide the needed temp for dormancy.

for each plant, i will make the soil what it needs to be, so they grow better.

however, this will be a big terrarium (40 gallon or so)
what other plants can i do with these needs:
-no dormancy
-no extreme humidity
-wont get really big (meaning has to have its own terrarium lol)

if you think one of them i named shouldnt be used, let me know. I just went off of what I could find on the internet.

i hope for lots of input.
thanks

Nice long post and lots of excitement! D. spatulata, D.adelae do well on window sills in a dry air laboratory, under open tray conditions. So they should do alright in the desert southwest.

if your looking for plants that don't get big, then you might want to trade in that raff for something else
smile.gif

a few other neps to check out are belli, gracilis, and campanulata. you can also try your luck with growing heliamphora clones that originated from the low(er) lands.

all of the mexican pings will work, almost all of the SA drosera will work,

remember that you can grow babies of large species then chop them down when they get too large, or you can grow plants that take a long time to get too big, then cut them down.

I will second the campanulata. That is a great nep species, and it doesn't get too big. As far as 'dews, you may want to get a capensis....They're easy and attractive. Also they don't go dormant.

you could add aquatic utrics like U. gibba in the pool too.
and I'm not sure about this so don't take my word for it but maybe a cobra lily?

Back