What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am an idiot

I am an idiot. I ask for help on how to kill the mold on some Sarr seed. I decide using rubbing alcohol would be the easist b/c I actually have that. So yesterday I think wow I hope I still have some. So I got the the Pantry to get it (first mistake). You would have thought going to the pantry would have triggered the "what am I doing" thing but no. So I take this gallon jug out and acidentally spill it on my seed. So I think. "Oh well I will just get new medium in the morning." I woke up last night thing "Oh jeez, what did I do. I put vinigar on not rubbing alcohol." Needless to say I just spent and hour trying to decontaminate the seed. But the good news is I think the fumes killed the mold.
I also just found my mexicna ping seed in the fridge from before christmas. Well I have no hopes for germination now. Since they are not supposede to be refridgerated. As was pointed out to me when I got the P. sharpii seed (which has had 12 germinate.
BTW does D. indica have to be refridgerated?

I don't refridgerate my D. indica seed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 10 2005,12:56)]... I think the fumes killed the mold.
It was probably the acidity of the vinegar that killed the mold. I took some to work once to check with a pH meter and it had a pH of 2 point something. Very acidic. Doubt it will harm seeds and most will likely have been rinsed out when you decontaminated the soil. If any remains when the seeds sprout, I doubt it will hurt them as it will have made the soil slightly more acid, which most CPs prefer and will continue to be diluted when you water the plants, especially if you water from the top which will flush contaminants out of the soil and into the tray where they can be dumped out.

Back